UK Budget Cuts.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Artemis, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Artemis

Artemis New Member

Surely people watched the cuts Tories/Lib's are making in the UK? If you didn't read it, basically, the goverment is cutting back on loads of things to pay back the debt, such as - VAT, child benefits, education\ect.

Some think it will take us back in to a recession again (even though we are still, technically, in one,). What with job cuts and everything going up.

I'll add my opinion later.

2. Holly

Holly Active Member

I'm not too sure about the cuts, really; some, like cutting Child Benefits, are just ridiculous to me. I know from experience that my mother needs the help of child benefits to sustain our needs, with these cuts I'm not sure what we're going to do.

They only increase VAT a couple of years ago, did they not?
    Most things are already far too expensive now, even just food and fundamentals.

To be honest, most of the cuts seem unnecassary, but I guess the Government have to start somewhere...

3. Madden

Madden Faut souffrir pour être

Obviously, they're trying to cater for everyone but, at the same time, there are great downsides to the cuts. I've seen quite a few people (who voted Tory) who are shocked by the decision; wasn't it obvious from the beginning?

I'm definitely not looking forward to the rise of VAT nor the loss if income. But, then again, if this somehow mysteriously gets us out of the recession, then fair play.

4. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

The only thing I know much about re: cuts, is the cuts for higher education, which I think it stupid. Don't cut funds which leads to unis cutting general places etc, CUT THE FUCKING STUPID DEGREES.
    I don't know how relevant that is, but that's my only opinion; it's hard to form a proper opinion on stuff like this at my age, because it's all quite over my head.

5. Julia

Julia New Member

They cut the building of a new super hospital where I live. The money had been announced and been granted by the treasury, the blue prints were ready and everything, then they go and cut it. My mam works in the hospitals and they all found out from the news, no one rang and told them.

I could rant forever and a day about the cutting of that hospital. We so desparately needed and wanted it.

:(

6. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

I wish we had some major federal budget cuts going on over here; maybe then the country wouldn't be going bankrupt.

Obama's Marie Antoinette: "Let them eat cake."