Manga/ Anime!!!

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by mcr maddness, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I can't get over how stupid the 'art' in anime is. At least for me.... it lacks any originality. Like really... it's all the same.. soo where's the point besides a different story line. Not to mention it's just not the kind of illustration that would fit into my box of aesthetics. Not to mention I think Japanese culture or whatever is way overrated. -shrugs- So I could never get into an actual book. Woe is me. I'll stick with COMICS. kthx.

2. Why does it really matter if the art is similar from series to series? The point is that people like that style of art, so they don't need it to change. Besides, if you read more than one series, you'd notice that the art is different from artist to artist. Sure, the changes are subtle, but then they all wouldn't fit under the genre of manga if there were wild and radical changes from series to series. The great storylines that you said is the only part that ever changes is part of the appeal, obviously. That's kind of like saying books are the same every time, and that that is why you don't like them. Books are the same format every time with a different storyline, the same goes for manga and comics. Does anyone get that? Because maybe it only makes sense in my head, haha.

I don't think calling the art "stupid" is valid as a reason for disliking it. It takes just as much skill as any western comic.

I like western comics and manga. Both art styles are brilliant.

3. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member

^ Totally agree.

Sorry, but I find that kind of offensive. A culture overrated? What's so overrated about it? I don't think a culture could get overrated. It's a way of life for a different country. Reading manga and watching anime is watching regular tv for some Japanese people.

Manga and anime isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean you have to call it stupid or overrated. If you don't like it, don't read/watch it and don't post in a thread aboutit.

Sorry if that was a bit off-topic. :p Anyway, I've read a bunch of new mangas and watched a lot of new animes. :) Looove it. I don't really have a favorite anymore...

4. ZeroToHero

ZeroToHero Guest

^ I love your avatar :3 <3333

/super off-topic

5. PunkAssMofo!

PunkAssMofo! Fuzake n Na!

People are free to discuss what they want about manga/anime.
    It's a discussion, it doesn't mean everyone has to like it or have the same opinion.
    So be nicer!

I want to watch more anime, but I find it hard to just go find one.
    I mean, I know where to find them but I can't just pick one at random.
    D:

6. ZeroToHero

ZeroToHero Guest

^ Exactllly how I feel.
    I keep searching for a new one to watch, but it's not like watching any TV show.
    It has to catch my eye.

7. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Of course books are the same within every novel. Because YOU KNOW WHY? they're just words! No illustration to speak of. Novels are irrelevant to my point. Maybe I should phrase this better. All manga art is.. you could say GENERALLY the same style... (which I wouldn't mind if I thought it was good. haaa). But the thing is.. to me.. personally. I find the sight of some seemingly 'perfect' vision of some perverted dudes mind not appealing. Like.. for the fact that all the manga females I've seen have abnormally large breasts and tiny itsy bitsy waists and such. I mean really? And the fucking big eyes and stupid facial expressions piss me the fuck off xD idk why. they annoy me. You can like what you want! It's not like I'm going to judge you or anyone else who likes it or anything. I have friends who like it.. I just. don't. Kill me for it.

Of course it takes as much skill as a western comic! Art is art, and I do see manga as art.... just not the kind that I find appealing. at all. Art can make you think anything of it. I think manga is stupid. It's stupid art to me, but still art. Whether it took skill to make it or not. I'm still not going to like it. lmfao.

For the reason that I think the illustrations are ABSURD I can't ever get into the actual plot lines. That's all.

Whereas, western comics... they vary. In massive amounts. Dave McKean's art in Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth. Is by far one of my favorite illustrators ever. But then you could pick up Batman: The Long Halloween, and just have something totally different. I like that.

Mkay, I can post in a thread about it because I wanted to :) maybe someone would agree with me! omg, you think!? doubtful. but still. I did it. anyway....

I find that the 'culture' is overrated, here. in the states.. where i live. I'm not talking about the culture where the culture originated or whatever. they can have it for all I care xD I think it's 'overrated' when stupid idiots name their children these Asian names when they have no Asian background. orrrr idk, pretend they're all.. Japanese... like.. they lie. and say they were born there... but they are obviously.. not. maybe you just haven't seen how weird some people get over this stuff. I mean, to see a freckled red head child with a name I can't pronounce is just.. weird to me. It's obsessive maybe? idk.

The fact that I walk into Border's and there's 2 shelves worth of manga and only like.. half of a half of a shelf(like they're on the bottom of the half of the shelf..) of comics really depresses me. Lol.

It just goes hand in hand with the fact that .. it doesn't appeal to me I guess. I don't see the hype. Thus- I think it's overrated.

gracias, senorita.

8. Okay, you're allowed to like whatever you like.

Not all manga is like that. Seriously, an AMAZING amount of western comics have unrealistic looking women. I went to the comic book store today, and was looking around at superhero comics, and basically every second female character was scantily clad, had enormous breasts and were really thin. It's an ongoing theme with comics in general. The second thing you said about the big eyes and such is called Moe, and it's a genre of sorts. It certainly doesn't happen all the time.

I don't see how a culture can be seen as overrated because it has a few weird fans :\ Everything has weird fans. You can call anything overrated if that's what your going to base it on.

For what it's worth, I realise that your opinion is worth just as much as the next person. Nobody was trying to undermine your thoughts. I apologise if it felt that way, I just think it's fun to have civil discussions like this :)

9. Ellie

Ellie New Member

^ Oh me too! About the last thing, that is. Lol, it just came of as harsh >.> the first time. Ha, That's Why i try to include many lulz and smilies in these shits. Internet being what it is and all.

I have been mentally blocked by the weird fans. I've been to comic con and seen some weird fans for western comics.... and.. everything else too xD but I mean, the fact I don't like manga to begin with obviously influences my opinion on the fans that are INSANELY EATEN UP WITH IT. However wrong that may be. lmfao.

10. Yeah, damn you internet for not being able to express tones of voice!
    Hm, yeah, I get what you mean. Die-hard Twilight fans annoy me in the same way. I guess I can relate then.
    There are a lot of really obsessive "Weeaboo's" out there, and as much as love manga and anime, if I got that obsessed that I started pretending to be Japanese, I would definately want my friends to punch me in the face.

And to add some ontopic-ness, has anyone seen/read Moon Phase? Because I'm thinking of buying it, it looks pretty good.

11. PunkAssMofo!

I just started watching this new anime but I can't remember what it's called...It has 'kiss' in the title.
    ANYWAY.
    I don't think most people would like it, but I really do!
    =D

12. ^ Oooh, what's it about?
    Maybe I can guess :D

13. Ain'tJustForTheFamex

Ain'tJustForTheFamex Active Member

Vampire Knight. If this is just for movies, I apologize.
    :)

14. Yay Vampire Knight!
    Do you read by volumes, or online?
    Volume 9 just came out here in Australia, I need someone to discuss it with XD

15. PunkAssMofo!

It's like a rom-com.
    =D
    Itazura na Kiss, I think it's called.
    It's about this really dumbish girl who fancies like, the top scholar in all of Japan and he rejects her but then they live together and ;o!

I really don't think a lot of people would like it, but it's totally my thing!
    (H)

16. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member

^ Sounds kinda interesting. It's something I would probably read/watch.

17. PunkAssMofo!

If you wanna read it - the author died so it's unfinished, I think.
    But the anime is finished.

18. ^ pang of sadness.

Sounds interesting. As much as I like a good Shounen, or something in the genre of horror, I still love Shoujo lots!

Out of curiosity, does anyone read Yuri? Non-graphic stuff of course, just the cute stuff ^___^

19. ewwww yuri isnt dat liek lezzo stuff??? mi frend lieks manga and anime + she saiz its lezzo stuff ewwwwwwwwww

20. Uh, personally I find that pretty offensive. I'm sure most other people on TBP would too. It's fine to have those, er, opinions... but maybe you should try keeping them to yourself? Also, most people, including myself, find it really annoying when people type in chatspeak. If you want to be on this site, read the rules and use correct spelling and grammar.

Anyway, maybe someone else has a more intelligent opinion on yuri/yaoi? :)