Health bill a milestone or a mistake?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by TheNickiOfDoom, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Health Care Reform bill...

Poll closed Apr 21, 2010.
  1. Milestone?

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Mistake?

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

Oh ok. I wasn't actually arguing with you, but if you're debating this with Richard, he wouldn't go for the Bible thing x)

2. Don Ricalo

Don Ricalo Panda Bear.

We should if it were written as truth, like the Bible. That book has never held any truth and never will do. Luckily one is studied as a historical period in literature, learning how the English language grew to the modern form we speak today, as Shakespeare invented much of the currently language we have and take for granted. The Bible however, has always been fairytales.

3. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

LOL no kidding. x)

The Bible is also a work of literature worth reading simply as literature, if not as the inspired Word of God, for the sake of understanding the thing you oppose (Christianity) so as to form a more fact-based argument against it.

But yeah, I still think that the Constitution is worth fighting for.
    Do you suggest that Barack Obama draw us up a new one? Do you think that that would go well?

4. Don Ricalo

Don Ricalo Panda Bear.

No, you should scrap the whole idea of American Rights in a Constitution altogether, instead replacing them with similar laws. The Constitution is a completely outdated list of what's essentially laws, so why not update them to stand in with current times? As such, it's holding the country back in an age gone by more than anything else. It'd be like us still having all our ridiculous laws that were mostly about the monarchy, but they've fallen out of use because we've moved on to a more modern life.
    All the Constitution encourages is idiotic behaviour, false patriotism and mental degradation to the masses.

5. Madden

Madden Faut souffrir pour être

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I'd add more points but I'd basically be repeating Richard's last post, so :)

6. p0mba

p0mba Active Member

I'm sorry to tell you, but we're richer than you, and we don't envy your healthcare system at all. That I can promise you.

7. Kaytea

Kaytea TSoSP

I know I'm jealous!

I'm jealous of your lack of healthcare. I'm jealous of hundreds of schools closing down thanks to Bush. I'm jealous of the violence and armed killings. I wish my country, too, was world #3 in robberies, #1 for rape- almost doubling the stats of the second country (go you!). Fifth for murders (second, if you only want to count "developed" countries, which is how most things like this are measured)

In fact, the more you look up every negative statistic, the more you see a trend. While the states aren't always #1, they're pretty much the only country that's consistently in the top 5.

You have no idea how jealous I am.

My dear, American people, in general, are no richer than the people of any other western nation. Having corporations there, making the "country richer" does not make Americans themselves more richer. It just jacks up the price tag on the country.

(in case you wanted another statistic to back it up- USA has the third highest population below median income, out of all developed countries)

statistics source

8. Lokeriel

Lokeriel Because Boomerangs Staff Member

I'm sorry Megan, but statements and attitudes like this seriously make me ashamed to be American.
    The rest of the world hates Americans because the majority of them (us, even) have a disgusting sense of entitlement and superiority. Take a look at what Katie said above me. We're not superior to anything, really.

9. Lola.

Lola. Guest

Basically.

All I can say is, Britain manage fine.

10. Kaytea

Kaytea TSoSP

YOU ARE, AT RAPE!

/bad person

11. xokay_nowx

Basically, I don't care what other people in far-away nations think of my country on the whole, and why should I?

If I worry about America's negative image enough, will that change anything?

No. Live for yourself, your family, your community, I say, because you can't please the whole world.

At the end of the day Osama bin Laden still wants to kill you. It doesn't matter how guilty you feel about our culture, so why not just enjoy it?

12. Kaytea

Kaytea TSoSP

I said nothing about image, I provided cold, hard facts proving faults in America. Ash, who is American, and not someone in a 'far-away nation', said that people like you make her ashamed to be American.

But one thing about your assumptions is fundamentally wrong there. If you worry about America's negative image enough it will change something- it will change everything!

If the people who give America the negative image start worrying about the fact that they're the ones causing it, it will change!

Unfortunately, the power is in the hands of those who don't want to change. But isn't that always the case...

13. xokay_nowx

I never said that this is a perfect nation. Frankly I think all the opportunity available here outweighs the bad things, i.e. crime stastistics (by the way, it's not like all Americans are killing each other; it's the same small segment of the population that is riddled with gun violence causing us to look statistically very violent).

Well, she's ashamed to be American because she says the "rest of the world hates Americans."

Really. If I just sit here and feel really guilty and ashamed about my country, that will change things.

I doubt it, but we are fundamentally different: idealism vs. cynicism.
    I don't believe that things ever really change, politically or otherwise.

14. Kaytea

Kaytea TSoSP

"by the way, it's not like all Americans are killing each other; it's the same small segment of the population that is riddled with gun violence causing us to look statistically very violent"

I realise that. But in the same way, Ash was pointing out, that not all Americans have the mentality of "I don't give a shit that my country's fucked up, our government is richer, and i don't care about the rest of the world, therefore I'm the best"- it's just the ones that do, such as yourself, that give the rest a bad name.

And no, I'm not saying sit and mope, you'll change things. I'm saying change things and you'll change things! Take an interest in the world around you, change the mentality!
    I'm not saying change the world politically!
    I'm saying- and pardon me for being a bit rude here- stop being idiotic and condescending, give a shit about the world around you, give a shit that it's people like you who are fucking it up. Yeah, it won't change the world, but changing yourself to try not to be as fucked as the ones around you is a good step in the right direction.

I realise that comes off as really self righteous, and god knows, I'm not great at it myself. But I try. that's all it takes. Not assuming that you're the best because of a price tag on your country.

15. Lenore

Lenore Inked and Sexy Staff Member

We talked about this in English class. We watched a youtube video of Obama talking about what will be included in the Health Bill. People applaused and cheered (in the video) and we were like "...wtf, that's normal =/. don't act so happy." I don't get how people could get mad about it, because it is normal to me, and it helps those who can't afford a insurance. We have to be insured. Also; every working citizen here pays for the retirement of the 65+ and for those who live off of a allowance. We find that normal. So if a little country like mine can do it, why not a large one like America?
    I don't know what my point here is, guess I'm just rambling. but yeah

16. xokay_nowx

It's actually easier for a small country than a large one.

We have Social Security here (pension for 65+) and the system is currently going broke, along with everything else. Maybe universal healthcare is a good idea, but the timing is certainly bad when the country's budget here is so strained.

17. Lenore

Lenore Inked and Sexy Staff Member

maybe because your country is in war and thus in depht.
    we are small, but have 17 million citizens on 41.528 km².
    the US has 300 million citizens on 9.629.091 km².
    9.629.091 / 41.528 = 232.
    that means that 17 x 232 = 300 <
    but it's not, it's 3942.
    we have more people living on one km²
    (NL 397,7/km²)
    (USA 31,9/km²)