Discussion Exercise/Fitness

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Thumbelina, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Lenore

Lenore Inked and Sexy Staff Member

I run on these;

[​IMG]

Not the best shoes to run on, but it's all I have and I also have no idea where to buy good ones, haha.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Good runners are essential, girls! My Aunty works in a sports store so I have a pair of really nice Asics shoes. It makes a massive difference and can save a lot of pain on your knees, ankles, etc. later on. I also save myself money by buying the children's version, rather than adults. Because I have tiny feet and they're half the price, haha!

[​IMG]

3. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

^Yeah, that's the other problem. They're fucking expensive and I don't have dwarf feet! D:

4. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

I find asics are the only shoes narrow enough for me. I really want to get back into running, I really miss it.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Firstly, know what shoes you need. If you're just doing running, stick to running shoes, if you're doing a combination of sports, get cross trainers, etc. Know what you need and above all else, buy online. Try shoes on in store, talk to sale assistants about what would be best, but don't buy them there. Places like Amazon or eBay are perfect for sneakers and save you a lot of money if you hunt properly. I got mine online after trying on about five different pairs in sports stores, saved about $60.

6. Flock of Margot

Flock of Margot New Member

The dorm I'm staying in next year has a small gym with a couple machines. And there's a free student gym about 5 minutes away that I plan on taking full advantage of. I've never had a proper work out, unless you count gym class and walking 1.5miles to the bus stop everyday, so I'm really out of shape. Plus, I'm a vegetarian (transitioning vegan) and have thyroid problems, so I get fatigued very easily and often.

7. Thumbelina

Thank you :) I'll eventually get around to doing that!

8. CherieNoir

CherieNoir Member

I've bought a treadmill which I now walk/jog five kilometres a day on. It's awesome because now I have no excuses not to exercise. I can do it inside, in front of the TV!

9. mollyxmadness

mollyxmadness Active Member

Since finals are over, I have so much more time and free gym access to the gym on campus. Because it's summer, nobody will be around, which is nice because I hate going to the gym when there are a lot of people there. It'll be nice because my summer roommate also wants to go to the gym every day so we can be each other's workout buddies.

10. Seraphim

Seraphim Active Member

I got my wisdom teeth out a week ago and I've lost another 2 kilos since then... so that takes my total weight lose up to 16kg (or about 35lbs) since I started eating better and exercising.
    I was talking to my boyfriend about it yesterday and was saying that I'd lost about 5kg since I'd seen him last and he was like "I noticed..."
    He looked kind of sad. :/

11. Thumbelina

Don't let that bother you; do what YOU want with your body and screw him (literally, probs, given he's your bf and all). I'm sure he's not bothered, or at least not bothered enough to change how he feels about you or to compel him to tell you to stop or put weight on.

Right, I've been doing half an hour every day on our bike machine (because it's the only thing we have and I don't have enough clothes/information for the ladies' gym near me so I'm not doing that yet), but when I was reading about the 30 Day Shred (no, I'm not doing it!), they were talking about muscle confusion/lethargy and I know I've heard about it before. How much truth is there in it? How long does it take before your muscles go "Oh, I've done this before; no one cares and I'm not going to get better any more"?

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

I'm assuming you mean how long before your muscle regeneration deteriorates?

Naturally it does as you get older, but if you look after yourself while working out, ie. Take your break days, that is generally; go to the gym one day, rest the next. If you can manage that, you'll heal fine. You'd have either sustain a pretty serious injury, or irresponsibly not allow your body time to heal and work out everyday instead. Realistically, that won't happen to you though, it would be mainly for people who are tearing and rebuilding muscles without letting them heal correctly before continuing. So mainly weights, really.

13. Thumbelina

No, no, I meant like, people say if you do the same exercise all the time, it stops being effective at building muscle and tone and all that. I don't really think it can be true because it doesn't make sense, but I just wondered.

14. mollyxmadness

^^I know what you mean, and I think it's different for everyone and also depends on how rigorous your exercise routine is/how much protein you're taking in. I'd say, if your current routine starts getting easy, then up the intensity of it.

I've been going to my University's gym and playing in the raquetball courts. It looks super easy but is actually a really good workout and is also super fun. I've also been riding my bicycle around town wherever I need to go instead of driving. It's not much but it helps. Especially when combined with a healthy diet.

15. Thumbelina

^Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Today's the first day in like, not very long that I've not bothered going on the exercise bike, because it's super fucking hot here and I washed my hair x)!

I'm also planning on like, walking to town instead of getting the bus and when I'm a bit fitter I might bike to my friends' houses (or I could even walk, but it'd take ages).

16. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Oh! I doubt it, you can always work longer and harder. I mean there is athletes out there who have been training for years and years and can still push themselves. I wouldn't stress it.

I have my official, do it or fail, Navy fitness test in four weeks. I am freaking out, I have a fear of the beep test. My heart rate goes through the roof even listening to it, while sitting down. At home. I'm scared I'll freeze up at the actual test. Fffuuu-.

17. Thumbelina

Oh, god, the bleep test. We did that at school a couple of times. I cba so I did a couple and gave up because it's just hideous.

18. mollyxmadness

Since I started boxing yesterday, my gym time takes up over two hours and is now my favorite part of the day. I have a gym buddy to go with (my roommate, which is convenient because we also cook healthy meals together) and our routine is like this: 15 minutes warm-up on elliptical, then 20 minutes in weight-training, then we take an hour in the combat room alternating boxing with the heavy bag and doing box jumps, and then we play racquetball for a half hour, and finish it off with five minutes on the elliptical. After that we cool down by walking around the track for a couple laps.

Having such an extensive exercise routine might be over-doing it so we take the weekends to rest. It's not even like a losing weight thing. Our gym routine is so much fun and we bond during it. We get a really good high off of the endorphins and sometimes it's just hard to actually leave the gym because it doesn't even feel like working out anymore.

I've only been doing this for about a week, but I'm already starting to see and feel results.

19. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

That's awesome, Molly. I've only done boxing like, twice? I never had anyone to do it with though. I envy you having someone to work out with!

20. Thumbelina

^This. I'm praying that one or both of my best friends will want to come to the gym with me and stuff when they're back from uni. I'm bored already of the bike, and I hate running in the wild, as it were, but there isn't anything else for me to do, really and I don't think I could go by myself -- not initially, at least.