Discussion Exercise/Fitness

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Thumbelina, Jun 17, 2011.

1. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

There's not so much of a gym culture where I live. We prefer to walk everywhere, and I think that's about as much exercise as we need. But because in New Zealand a lot of women go to the gym, i started to also. So I think I will keep it up and join a gym when I get back to Lyon.
    I have been keeping up with my eating rituals though, like a huge breakfast. I love my pastries and bread (I am European :p) so i'll eat them in the morning, meat and veges for lunch and for dinner something light. I never eat after 6pm. I also eat very, very slowly. I know some people eat so fast and don't care about the food they are eating as long as they get something down. It's so annoying and I think, disrespectful to the food. You need to slow down and enjoy the food. Eating is a social activity and is a pleasurable part of the day. I know some people dread it when really they shouldn't. Okay, I sound like my mum now.

^^ Girls, they say here in Paris, for a woman, wearing heels is the best and only exercise you need and at least you look good while doing it :)

2. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

You never eat after 6?!?!??!!? That's practically my lunch time!

3. mollyxmadness

mollyxmadness Active Member

I try not to eat after 8, or at least two and a half hours before I go to bed. If I sleep on a full stomach, I wake up feeling sick the next day.

I would like to eat slowly, but I only have short breaks between classes and have to pack my food down really quickly, otherwise I'd go the whole day without eating. Sometimes I have to, but if that happens, I just get a coffee and smoke. Coffee gives me the energy I need, and smoking takes away my hunger and caffiene jitters.

4. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

Coffee is a really good appetite suppressant for me; one cup a day is all I need. It finally occurred to me than when I was 10 lbs. thinner last fall I was drinking coffee every day... hmmm.
    Other than that I like to eat one huge meal a day, sometimes 1,000 calories, and hardly eat the rest of the day. It's the opposite of what 'they' recommend, but it works well for me. I could never do the thing where you eat a yogurt and a handful of nuts or something six times a day.
    Oh also I like high fiber cereal in the morning. Fills me up for hours and hours. :D

5. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

Haha yeah, I never eat after 6. I'm really used to it though, i'm not hungry anymore.

I actually scheduled my classes around my meal times :) I used to do that, smoke and coffee to take away my hunger. Until I quite smoking a lot (I still smoke occasionally now though, just not as much) and I stopped eating more.
    Eugh, I could never do one of those substitute diets where you have one thing over and over again for the whole day. I love real food too much. It's really just all about moderation and you can still eat all the things you love.

6. GlowMidnight

GlowMidnight Active Member

I just signed up for track today. I don't know what I was thinking.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Amen to this. I work all day and another job at night time, when I get home at 9 o'clock at night I feast enough to fill me up for a day. I consume the most food after 6.

8. mollyxmadness

I usually eat one big meal at the beginning of the day, and then small, high-fiber snacks if I get hungry. That way, I'm kept pretty full, but by the end of the day, I've burned most of the calories off.

9. GlowMidnight

GlowMidnight Active Member

So the 1st track practice was today. It made me feel terrible about myself though because I was the slowest person there. We had to run 5 minutes around the parking lot outside and I got out of breath halfway through which is really weird since I run that much in gym class just fine. Then we stretched and did some footwork drills. My thighs are really killing me because lunges was one of the things we did. Then we ran another 15 minutes to see how many laps we did and I was only able to do 8 while a ton of people said they did over 15. *sigh*

10. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

GlowMidnight, it's harder running on dirt/concrete/whatever tracks are made of than indoors on the sprung floor of the gym. It's to do with the dynamics of your weight being bounced back up a bit by the springier floor of an aerobics room or on a treadmill.

Take care of your joints, as they'll feel the change bigtime.

11. Thumbelina

So, for the last week I've been trying this whole "not eating after Xpm" (9 o'clock in my case) and I keep forgetting about it, but fortunately, remember before I go to eat something.

Except tonight. I was about 3/4 of the way through my rice salad before realising it was almost half-ten.

Seriously. How do I remember?! X)

12. xokay_nowx

At least it was a salad not ice cream lol.

It's really hard to get back into going to the gym when you haven't in months. So overwhelming. Need to do it sometime soon, maybe won't happen until after finals. ^_^
    My weight actually isn't bad at all though, it's just the muscle tone, lost it all after stopping strength training of course.

13. Thumbelina

^Oh yeah, definitely; it was almost chicken nuggets -- had the oven preheated and everything but stopped myself! x)

And I wish I could go to the gym, but I don't know how they work. Like, what do I do? Who do I speak to? WHAT IF I GET IT WRONG? It's just too embarrassing to consider, but I know what you mean; I'd love to be a bit more toned/muscular.

14. xokay_nowx

Oh yeah know what you mean 100%. That's why I go to Curves- all women's gym designed for beginners where they walk you through the circuit first few times. :)

15. mollyxmadness

Was able to turn down a free ice cream at Coldstone Creamery today. I'm proud of myself.
    I've lost almost ten pounds in the last month, just from eating healthy and having smaller portions. I think it might have something to do with the birth control I'm on. Ever since I started taking it, my appetite has decreased a lot and when I do crave food, it's mostly fruits and veggies.

I've also started using small weights to tone up my arms and shoulders, without building too much muscle. They're looking a lot better.

16. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

I have a fitness test on Tuesday at an Army base and I'm freaking out I've been hitting the treadmill non stop to try and bump up my running. So much pressure, I just want to eat cake and sleep through my free time.

17. xokay_nowx

^ Good luck! I say have cake if you want it, you're so far from overweight.

I thought a new medication I was on was suppressing appetite but my doctor said placebo. :/

Contrary to popular belief it's quite difficult to accidentally become "bulky" or whatever from weights. People who look like that train for hours and hours, not to mention some use steroids.

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Joined a gym a few weeks ago, it's really surprising to see how much I have improved in what, two weeks? I can do a lot more weight with my legs and arms than I have ever been able to. My legs are like little machines! I've been eating healthier too, I'm aiming to eat more fresh produce. And drinking a lot of green tea.

I know I don't need to loose weight but all of this makes me feel so good, like my insides and clean and happy, haha!

19. Lenore

Lenore Inked and Sexy Staff Member

Joined a gym as well! I feel so good after every work-out, like I have more energy. Trying to go at least two days a week, hopefully I'll keep it up!

20. Thumbelina

My friend and I have planned to get fit this summer and she wants to go swimming, which is great because I used to love swimming, but it means finding a costume which is a right royal pain in the arse a) because I'm so pear-shaped and b) because I have such a long body. D:!

Also, I don't own trainers and don't even know where to start with buying them, because apparently there are like seven hundred million different kinds.

Why is it so complicated?! D: