England Riots.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thumbelina, Aug 8, 2011.

1. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

+1

Has anyone died? I'm trying to find out on Google News.

2. PunkAssMofo!

PunkAssMofo! Fuzake n Na!

I've only heard that one person is dead after being shot and there are thirteen people hospitalised.

3. PlanetaryGoGo

PlanetaryGoGo Media Division

The person who died was the one the peaceful protest was about right before the riots were started by some idiots.

4. Madden

Madden Faut souffrir pour être

This.

Thankfully, I'm nowhere near London, but the rioting has escalated up to Nottingham which is v. unsuprising.

I've had SKY News on all afternoon to keep myself updated. Radio 2 have also commented that "the government ought to bring in the Armed Forces". Really? Though the Met. police are absolutely awful in these situations, it's not up to the army to come and do the police force's jobs.

And the youth of today: BBC News - London rioters: 'Showing the rich we do what we want'

And the only FB page I'll like: Stop destroying the country our soldiers are fighting to protect. | Facebook

I actually cannot get over the rioting in Birmingham, Kirst. Just... what?

5. PunkAssMofo!

It's crazy. I hear the police are retreating in some places, like the Jewellery Quarter, because there are too many rioters, and we're expected a load more tonight. Businesses are being told to close and people are being told to leave town early. There was a rumour that the bull's head had been sawn off, but it doesn't look like it has been.

I hate this.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Hopeless Wanderer

16,000 police being deployed on the streets of London tonight, including under trained riot police.
    There's talk of plastic bullets and borrowing water cannons from N.Ireland [Something they wish to avoid as a water cannon has never been used on mainland UK before.]
    All of Thames Valley police have been pulled off their leave, and any who were abroad have been put on emergency flights home.

Also, two points to show the calibre of people rioting;
    - Currys in Clapham was looted and destroyed. The Waterstones next door was left untouched.
    - When a journalist tried to ask WHY someone was looting, guess what they said? "To get my taxes back." Yeah, cause your taxes go to PC World, sweetheart.

There is also a petition that was started in the last 2 hours to stop the benefits of all those who participated in the riots. It's already got over 10,000 signatures. [Hopefully I don't need to point out the massive gaping flaw in this plan...]

7. Madden

This has just been posted all over my Facebook page:
    [​IMG]
    See the idiot there? Yeah. His name is Michael and used to be in my tutor group at school (many people have just reported him).

This whole rioting thing makes me feel sick.

8. PunkAssMofo!

Nick Clegg visited Birmingham today. He stepped out of the car and everyone just started booing him (I'm not entirely sure why?).
    I hear they've already arrested 500 people so far though, that's a start.

9. Madden

Well, if I ever met Nick Clegg, I'd 'boo' at one of his faces.

10. PlanetaryGoGo

Right. So it seems someone else died now. It was just on the news. There was a local being interviews. He said "I don't know if they know those kids realize they're destroying peoples homes. It's crazy." And it seems the one that got shot in the last 24 hours was being shot in defense cause he was attacking the police.

11. -melovesMCRXx-

-melovesMCRXx- New Member

Shit, someone else died?
    All i know is that a hell load of places in Birmingham have been closed down/ have to close early.
    [​IMG]
    The bulls head deffinately hasn't been sawn off. Photo from Kerrang Radio's Faceboook, The morning after the riots.
    These rioters are sick. What's the point in all this? Destroy your own city bacause you have the IQ of a spoon.

12. Phoenix

That petition I was talking about earlier? Yeah it just hit 19,000 signatures O_O

13. Madden

It probably won't do anything.

14. Phoenix

25,000 now.
    And I hope it doesn't. People don't realise the repercussions it would have.

15. PlanetaryGoGo

This was posted on DeviantArt along with the comment of the creator of this.
    And that was not on the news.

16. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

Friends have been posting this on FB:

Simplistic, yeah. Pretty accurate though. I've been pretty worried for friends over there, but things seem to have died down. People are now on Twitter/FB orhanizing clean ups.

If the Nazis, the IRA and Al Qaeda can't keep the Poms down, what hope do dumbarse chavs have of spreading terror? ;)

17. WhySoSerious?

WhySoSerious? Active Member

So I'm watching the news and they said people that are like 9 years old are looting. What the fuck? Oh and apparently 2 or 3 more more men were killed by a man during a hit and run.

18. Madden

I heard the youngest was eleven which isn't really surprising.
    Yep, a man ran over three Asian men apparently.

And they spread through to Derbyshire last night, but not on the same scale as Birmingham/Manch/London.

19. WhySoSerious?

WhySoSerious? Active Member

I wonder when this is all going to stop.

20. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

When school goes back next week is my guess.