Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by VickyWild, May 28, 2007.

1. Holly

Holly Active Member

^Please don't double post; use the Edit button.
    :)

I'd love to go to a DW convention, but Newcastle's just a bit too far away; I'll have to stick to religiously buying the magazines. xD

2. MarieArt

MarieArt Champion of Losers

I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a few years, but I'd like to open the Doctor Who topic back up. Shall we?

I watched bits and pieces here and there for a few years then finally began watching it. I'm really, really into Astrobiology and Science Fiction, so I knew from the beginning this was the series I should be watching. I've gone through 9-11, watched a few--not all, don't kill me--classics, and excited about the new season (50th Anniversary) yet very sad about Matt Smith (11) leaving on Christmas. I know you cannot have anything new if something old doesn't go, but lord, it took me a little while to get over David Tennant (10).

Okay, so who's excited about the 50th Anniversary? Anyone used to watch it? Anyone else here still watch it? I have very few people that I know who watch it and I get to hang out with only one of them on a weekly basis (XxkeanaXx).

3. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

I'm totally excited about it! I've only recently warmed to Matt Smith - I like him a lot better with Clara than I did with Amy and Rory - so I'm not going to be as upset to see him go as I was with David Tennant.

I can't wait to see who they have as the next Dr!

4. MarieArt

I'm nervous about seeing the new doctor, but excited at the same time.

I've grown to really like Matt Smith as the Doctor. I loved Amy and Rory's character's, but liked the Doctor + Clara. I think I liked Amy and Rory because I had a crush on Arthur Darvill (Rory) for a while. haha.

5. Lokeriel

Lokeriel Because Boomerangs Staff Member

I'm definitely ready for a new Doctor, man. Matt Smith did eventually grow on me, (I didn't care for him at first, especially after David Tennant,) but I think it's time for someone new. He's had about 3 seasons (series, whatever,) and that's about how long Tennant had before he regenerated. I think it's a good amount of time. (And I was definitely ready to see the Ponds go. Not to say I wasn't sad, because you'd have to not have to have a soul for that last scene with Amy to not be completely heartbreaking. But it was time for some fresh blood.)

I wonder if Clara is going to go too, when 11 does, or if she's going to stay with him, like Rose did when 9 regenerated?

6. kadoodle

Amy and Rory really pissed me off in the end - leave, FGS! Stop going on about it, just shit or get off the pot! But it was very sad and lovely the way they did leave in the end.

I've heard Rupert Grint mentioned as the Dr. That could be interesting.

I want Captain Jack back. I love John Barrowman, he's so bad.

7. Lokeriel

^Captain Jack is hands down my favourite supporting character on Doctor Who ever, and I'm so gutted he's not going to be in the 50th special.

8. MarieArt

I loved Captain Jack so very much! Amy was a bit much after a while; I liked Rory though, but he came with Amy. It became more of their love story instead of about the Doctor's adventures. I kind of like love stories but that's not what Doctor Who is supposed to be about.

One companion who broke my heart was Donna. I sobbed; I just love Catherine Tate's "sass". I also love the chemistry between Tennant and Tate.

9. Lokeriel

Donna is my number one all time favourite companion. She was just the best. Though I think that a big part of the reason I liked her so much was that she's like, the only female companion that wasn't romantically interested in the Doctor.
    Rose was in love with him (and lucky her, actually kind of sort of ended up with him, thanks to Donna,) Martha fancied him, Amy obviously dug him, at least at first, before she finally got a clue about how much Rory loved her (and how much she loved him.) River married him. Clara seems pretty interested (and now that River is gone, it seems like that interest goes both ways.)
    And then there's Donna, who made it clear right off the bat that she wasn't interested. ("You ain't mating with me, sunshine!" which is, btw, one of my favourite lines ever.) They were just bros, and she wasn't afraid to tell him off when he needed it.
    But could you imagine Donna with 9? Omg, the amount of sass would be amazing.

10. MarieArt

That's probably why she wasn't with 9 too much sass on one show lmao. I love how she always picked at 10 but genuinely cared for him as a friend not love interest, and she'd put that foot down too. Like in the Pompeii episode, phew, she had me crying towards the end of that episode. I also liked how she didn't see why sure was so important; I actually kind of related to Donna/she was one of the more "realistic/everyday life" characters.

11. kadoodle

I also loved Donna because she wasn't "hot". Not young, not skinny, not a love interest; just a cranky, bossy broad who took no shit.

12. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

I didn't see that many episodes with 10, but definitely would've liked them. On another note: I HATE AMY. I HATE HER. OMG NO. I HATE MOFFAT. I HATE HIM CAN HE PLEASE GO AWAY NOW.

13. MarieArt

Oh, Moffat.... The emotional distress caused by Moffat....
    I highly suggest watching 9 and 10, everything makes more since that way. :) Haha, after talking about Donna I watched "partners in crime"/adipose last night. Them talking through the window kills me every single time. Haha!

And "I should've stayed at home!"

14. kadoodle

Those little Adipose critters were so cute! I totally want one as a pet.

15. MarieArt

Me too! I told my cousin--we watch Doctor Who everytime she comes over--that if I took adipose, we'd have quite a few cute little adipose creatures running around and one ugly one. Bahaha!

16. kadoodle

I can't wait to see what they do for the 50 year anniversary! I mean, where do you start...?

17. MarieArt

Lord, I don't know. I've thought about since the finale. I'm dying!

18. I think the saddest thing about Matt Smith leaving is the wasted potential. Undeniably, he is a brilliant actor and brought a different spark to the Doctor, but he was just thrown into story-lines that were so... blah. I liked Amy's character, but the thing is that was over-shadowed by what plots she had to go through ("The Girl who Waited" - just stop). Rory felt under-developed and as though he was just following for Amy's sake, which is pretty disappointing because he has a few things about him that make him seem like a would-be best male companion. Series six was just a tragedy, in my opinion. It was the River Song show. Maybe I'm biased due to a friend hating River, but I don't care for her character anymore. Alex Kingston is a great actress, but River is a mess. She can fly the TARDIS better than the Doctor? She is part Time-Lord? Amy and Rory are her parents? She's married to the Doctor? She's confident, independent and sexy? Her name is River Song, even. Mary Sue bells. I feel like Matt Smith just had bad writing, which sucks.

I could rant a lot about Moffat, but this looks long enough (sorry)!

19. Lokeriel

NEW DOCTOR ANNOUNCMENT THIS SUnDAY GUYs ASFjKHGGHj