California Judge Rules Prop 8 "Unconstitutional"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lokeriel, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Lokeriel

Lokeriel Because Boomerangs Staff Member

I don't know how may of you have been following this, but the ban on gay marriage in California was passed in 2008, and there have been appeals and trials. Today, a California judge has overturned Prop 8, on the grounds that it's unconstitutional.

Source: California Gay Marriage: A judge has overturned California's gay marriage ban, claiming Prop. 8 is unconstitutional. - KTLA
    See Also: Perry et al v. Schwarzenegger et al: Challenge to "Proposition 8"
    Judge strikes down Prop. 8, allows gay marriage in California [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

2. Emi

Emi Guest

So wait, are gay couples able to marry now?

3. Angila

Angila InkGirl. Staff Member

Good! It should never have been passed in the first place.

4. Lokeriel

Technically, yes, at least for the time being. Opponents of gay marriage have to convince a board that they actually have a shot at winning the Supreme Court appeal in order to stop people from getting married until the Supreme Court makes a decision.

ETA:
    Source: Federal judge strikes down California's ban on same-sex marriage - San Jose Mercury News

And Angie; indeed. Unfortunately, California is more conservative than the media makes it out to be. More than half the state (at least, those who bother to/are old enough to vote) voted to ban gay marriage.
    I was living in Washington at the time, or else I'd've totally voted against Prop 8.

5. ZeroToHero

ZeroToHero Guest

I girl I follow on twitter tweeted about this, and I squealed so. loud.
    Her and her girlfriend had been married and then Prop 8 was passed and they had to divorce. But now they're gonna get married again and :DDDD

This should have resolved back when the prop was even mentioned.

6. Lokeriel

Really? One of the articles I read today said that the state honoured all marriages that happened in the five months that it was legal. I'll see if I can find that again.

EDIT: Not the same article I'd originally read it in, but the same idea;
    Source:Federal judge strikes down California's ban on same-sex marriage - San Jose Mercury News

7. ZeroToHero

ZeroToHero Guest

I don't think they divorced, but when it was first passed she wrote this long letter. In it she mentioned that she couldn't say she was legally married to her spouse, and it felt like divorce.

8. Artemis

Artemis New Member

Does that mean you dissagree with gay people getting married??

9. Lokeriel

^I believe she means that the law banning gay marriage shouldn't have been passed in the first place.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Just did my English essay on this. And I think it was such a stupid, narrow minded law to be passed in the first place. I'm so glad they've made a change. All couples should be able to marry, no doubt.

11. Angila

Angila InkGirl. Staff Member

No Kyo, I am not against gay marriage. Quite the contrary. As Ash said, I meant that Prop 8 should never have been passed. I was responding in kind to it being ruled unconstitutional. As in, saying 'Good!' about it. The thread was about the ruling being overturned. Why would I have expressed happiness about it if I held any other view?

12. Artemis

Artemis New Member

Oh. Apologies but I don't come from America so I had trouble understanding the terms of passing props/ect.

I feel that gay people should have the choice to marry. At the end of the day, getting married is becoming less about religion and more about a declaration of love - considering it's a sin not to believe in god, yet I know loads of people who get married who aren't religious or marry many times.

13. Elena

Elena New Member

I'm so happy to see this! Hopefully the rest of the states will start to allow it.