2008 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xokay_nowx, Aug 30, 2008.

?

Who do you want to be the next president of the U.S.?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2008.
  1. John McCain

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Barack Obama

47 vote(s)
    73.4%
  3. Undecided/neither

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Could care less

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Madden

Madden Faut souffrir pour ĂȘtre

So I just woke up and watched his speeches and just - he nailed it, really.

2. BloodBubbles

BloodBubbles Guest

Yeah, I know. That was just amazing.

3. Pansy_Face

Pansy_Face Setting my friends on fire

No, I mean SO many people think they'll be getting a tax break, but in reality they'll be getting a tax raise.

Like a crapload of Obama supporters support him because they believe they'll be taxed less. But they won't cause they're richer than they think. It's gonna be funny to see, I think. Sad, but funny.

4. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

Actually most of his votes were based on his economy plans. I think it was about 90% according to CNN. The rest was taxes, terrorism, education, etc. EDIT: Yes, somehow economy and taxes fell in different categories.

Obama also got the support of higher income people, which Obama clearly said he would tax. What does this mean? Some Americans aren't selfish.

And what's with the negativity? Just give the man a chance. You haven't seen anything. Divided we will fail. It's like you WANT him to fail. It's un-American and almost blasphemous.

No one in this thread even knows anything about taxes. It takes more than just general knowledge about taxes to have a valid opinion... and I'm including myself.

5. Claire.

Claire. Photographic Disorder.

^ I like your avvy. (and this remark is actually on topic ^^)

6. Schuyler

Schuyler Active Member

Both Obama's speech and McCain's speech almost made me cry...

I think McCain handled that extremely well. :)

7. Pansy_Face

No, I wasn't trying to say that at all. It's like...I dunno how to say this properly now. Like, I know people who are//were obsessed with Obama winning because they thought they would get lower taxes. But with their income, they would get higher taxes. I mean, with the whole 'if you make $250,000 or less, you'll see tax breaks.'

You know what? I don't know how to say this. Forget it. I'm retarded, I know.

I don't want him to fail.

8. ~deadinside~

~deadinside~ New Member

I know! I was almost surprised at how well that went.
    I did want McCain, but I'm happy for Obama. And what Sergio mentioned above is true. It's not right for people that wanted McCain to want Obama to fail. I didn't competely buy everything he said (and I'm sure it's vice versa for Obama fans) but he did make history, and that's great.
    I was a little disappointed, but this whole thing wasn't a game. A lot of people at my school were high-fiving each other and screaming 'GO OBAMA!' which wasn't really my cup of tea. It upsets me that people treated it like a nice game of football at my school. It's the US President (not a football victory), and no matter who it is, I'm proud, because this is America, and we just showed the world what we're capable of doing. I'm sure he won't be a terrible president, and I can't sit here being upset because it's just not patriotic. I'm ready for what Obama plans to do, and I hope I'll enjoy it. Congrats, Obama. :)
    (It was a teeny bit hard for me to say that, xD, but really, I do mean it.)

Sorry, I'll stop talking.

9. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

*tear* I agree 100%.

10. Schuyler

Schuyler Active Member

Lolz I high-fived people...

11. ~deadinside~

~deadinside~ New Member

^Aw, thank you, Sergio.
    It's true, really. I understand the disappointment of McCain fans, but guys, we gotta get over it, because he's the President of America now. We have to accept it and see what he does, and hey, he could be great. It's not like it's going to be hell with him in office or anything...so try to cheer up. (That's what I'm doing :))

^That's not the type of stuff we need right now. xokay_nowx, that was a bit too far. And VivreChem, if Obama fans are laughing at us, how does that make you look? Obama is just the President, not god. Sure, he could do amazing things for us, but is that the type of talk Obama would like? McCain and Obama are both very respectful men, and we, as American citizens (and everyone in the world) should be as well.
    (And please, please don't take offence to that. I was aiming that at everyone.)

12. trustme

trustme Guest

Ahh, Obama wooooon! I had to go to sleep before I could see the results (even though I knew it was over before I went to bed... but still, it's different seeing it happen)... but I saw the speeches, and man. They make me proud.

13. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

The president only does part of the job. Sure, they make decisions which can ultimately hurt the economy, but there are still successful people even in this wounded country. We need to learn to be responsible and seek growth. People can't be happy with the same paycheck while the costs of living go up. We can't stop inflation due to 2.3 trillion dollars disappearing, but we can be responsible citizens and do our part. Hopefully Obama will still spend time inspiring people as he did with me. He can be more than a president, he can be a hero.

Get ready to work your ass off like never before.

/rant

14. Schuyler

Schuyler Active Member

You are so fucking right. :)
    That's the attitude I wish everyone had.

15. Anorexia.Addict

Anorexia.Addict New Member

I would have voted Obama if I was 18. =\

I'm glad he won though. =D

16. ~deadinside~

~deadinside~ New Member

Thanks, Schuyler :) I do too...
    And Sergio, sorry, I didn't mean to make it out that Obama was just a President.
    I absolutely agree that he could be a hero, among many other things. I should've made that part a bit more clear. But other than that, yeah, like stated in my other posts, I wish more people had a better attitude about all of this.

17. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

My post wasn't aimed at you, I'm just speaking in general. Obama has said time and time again that the next few years won't be easy and that we need to do our part.

18. Ellie

Ellie New Member

OMG.
    I'm so fucking happy FL voted Obama.
    I'm so oddly proud of my state right now.
    Amazing.

The extreemly wealthy children at my brother's private school were moaning and complaining. [Does it sound worse if I say it's a private Catholic school?] Ridiculous conservatives that think they'll go poor from all those taxes.
    The brother even said he asked one girl why she was pro-McCain and her answer was "Obama wants to take the rich people's money and give it to the poor people..."
    Greedy little brat xP

ANYWAYS.
    I'M SO HAPPY.
    fucking amazing. I love you right now Florida, I really do.
    You passed through with Amendment 2 and I'm sorta pissed about that you homophobes, but whatever. I can't get it all.

19. Pansy_Face

^ I understand where they're coming from, though. There's no law that says if you have 'a lot' of money, that you should give it to the poor. It's your money, you earned it.

I'm not saying I believe that, but I understand. And I don't think you should call them greedy brats. It is their money.

I feel like people hate me on this thread now.

California also passed Proposition 8. No more gay marriages :[

20. Schuyler

Schuyler Active Member

But at the same time, if this country wants to be successful, we need to take care and look out for each other.