Remember when CDs came in cases like this?

Discussion in 'General Rock Discussion' started by Mr.Mr., Jun 26, 2013.

1. Mr.Mr.

Mr.Mr. -- SUPPORT TBP -- Staff Member

2. Lokeriel

Lokeriel Because Boomerangs Staff Member

Bhahahaa, I doubt many people on this forum will remember this kind of CD packaging. They're all too young! I remember it, though, I got Queen's News of the World in a box like that.

3. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

It was all little square packages here in Australia, we never got 8track or long CD boxes.

4. MarieArt

MarieArt Champion of Losers

I was young, but I remember it. My aunt was big on 8 tracks and had a bunch of CDs that came in packaging like that. I was a cassette kid until I was 10 though; I had quite a few until a flood took 'em out several years ago because I packed all of my cassettes up and had them in a box in the basement. My cassette player stopped working in its prime, haha. I had some Green Day tapes; I don't remember all of them, but I remember those.

5. Lokeriel

I was still buying albums on cassette tape until they stopped making them, haha. And even after they stopped releasing albums on cassette, I still bought blank tapes, and recorded songs off the radio. I still have more than a dozen of those mix tapes!

6. kadoodle

I loved cassettes. Except when the machine ate them and you had to wind all the tape back on with a pencil.

7. Angila

Angila InkGirl. Staff Member

Oh man I had soo many mix tapes. I would listen to the radio all night long to hear a song I wanted to record, then the damn dj would talk over the whole beginning part.

I vaguely remember those cases, but I never had any. I was still stuck with tapes until I saved up enough babysitting money to buy my first CD player and Janet Jackson, my first cd. Mannn wish it'd been something cooler lol. Dookie was my second, so I win back points. =P

8. kadoodle

I hung on to tapes for ages, I they were $20 and CDs were $35. My first CD was Soul Asylum's Grave Dancers Union.

9. Lokeriel

The first CDs I got were Ozzy Ozbourne's The Ozzman Cometh and Presidents of the United States of America's self titled album. (Why yes, I have always been this cool, thank you!) My mother joined that "12 CDs for a penny!" record club when I was like 11, and let me pick 2 CDs. The first CD I bought for myself with babysitting money though, was the Spawn Soundtrack. (Which I still listen to, 15 years later. It's a good soundtrack!)

10. Angila

Oh man I did that cd club thing too! I never paid once they started billing me though lol. I too had the Presidents album. That was the one with Peaches, Kitty, and Lump on it, right?

11. Lokeriel

Haha, yes, that's the one! I still have that album, it's just hilarious. My mom quit the record club after we got our 12 CDs, I think. But I joined it myself when I was like 16, and I got SO MANY CDs out of it, and it was actually a really good deal. I save a shitton of money, and got some CDs that I probably wouldn't've bought otherwise, that I loved.

12. Angila

I only ended up with the 12 or whatever you get to start out. Once they started sending the full price ones with a bill I just never paid. I did the whole thing on the sly and remember being scared my parents were going to get sued over it lol.

13. Lokeriel

Haha, I actually only did that once, getting the CD and not paying. I wasn't living with my folks at the time, (I was 17, I think, and living with a friend,) and went by my parent's house to get some mail when my mother wasn't home. I had gotten a CD from the record club (System of a Down's Toxicity, it's dumb that I still remember that,) and so I took it, and never paid for it. It just occurred to me that it's likely that my step dad ended up paying for it though, haha.

The thing about the record club was that you had to do it the right way. If you got their "CD of the Month" or whatever, they'd have deals to go along with it, like, "Buy CDOTM, get 2nd CD Free, and additional CDs 50% off,) kind of thing. It was also cool that, if you forgot to tell them you didn't want the CDOTM, you could just send it back and they wouldn't bill you for it. (They do this for most "of the Month" kind of things, actually.)

14. Angila

Yeah I just kept them and didn't pay lol. I was 12 or 13 I think, so had no real sense of responsibility. I should have done it by protocol like you did, could've ended up with a lot more music a lot cheaper!