Ones Left Standing (Killjoys)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Ridea, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Ridea

Ridea New Member

Welcome to a new story, one that Dust Angel suggested I post after we talked about the idea and I showed her the first chapter. It's still a work in progress so criticism and ideas are all welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Title: Ones Left Standing (Killjoys)
    Rating: 15
    Main Characters: Clumsy Riot (aka Prez), Hot Shot (aka Ace), Short Stack (aka Ariel), Tiny Chaos (aka Belle), Tech AD, Party Poison, Fun Ghoul, Kobra Kid, Jet Star
    Genre: Drama, adventure
    Disclaimer: I don't know the band nor do I own them. This is all purely fictional.
    Summary: They should have been dead. Instead they awoke to a home filled with kids, chaos and a woman with a plan.

Chapter Index:
    Chapter One - Page One
    Chapter Two - Page One
    Chapter Three - Page Two
    Chapter Four - Page Two
    Chapter Five - Page Two
    Chapter Six - Page Three
    Chapter Seven - Page Three
    Chapter Eight - Page Four
    Chapter Nine - Page Four
    Chapter Ten - Page Five
    Chapter Eleven - Page Five
    Chapter Twelve - Page Five
    Chapter Thirteen - Page Six

2. Ridea

Ridea New Member

Chapter One

The first thing he noticed was that his head was pounding. It felt like a marching band and a construction crew had taken up residence in his skull. He groaned and tried to turn but a hand on his shoulder pushed him down. Memories of what happened came flooding back and he tried to sit up and open his eyes. The hand firmly pushed him to lie down and he felt something cover his eyes.
    "Hold on," a low, feminine voice said. "Let me lower the light." There was a click and whatever was on his eyes was removed. He blinked and looked around. The room was small and dark. There was a lamp on a trolley by his head and he could barely make out whatever words that seemed to be written on the walls. It looked like graffiti. Along the walls though he could see other cots. He made out Ray's hair in the shadows and finally, he looked at the owner of the voice.
    A woman stood at the side of his bed waiting patiently. Short dark hair was tucked behind her ears and she had a scar by her eye right eye that went over her temple. There was a smudge of something black on her cheek. She didn't look like anyone that worked with BL/ind. Mostly though because whatever she wore looked like it was mostly black with splashes of random colour. She watched him with dark eyes through his scrutiny. Her lips were quirked up as if amused.
    "Where..." His voice cracked and he tried to swallow in order to speak.
    "Here," she spoke softly as she grabbed something off of the trolley. Her arm went behind his head to raise it and he struggled as she brought it to his lips. "Oh enough," her tone berated. "I wouldn't have saved you if I was just going to poison you." He looked at her warily but allowed her to tip the cup to his mouth. Once he tasted the clear water, he reached up to grab the cup and chug it back. She pulled it away. "Easy now, no need to make yourself sick." She put his head back down and returned the cup to its spot.
    "What...what happened?"
    "That's what I'd like to know." She crossed her arms as she looked around the room. "Tech was the one who found you. His scans located faint pulses and heat signatures in the back part of a Transit. We went to take a look hoping for supplies, instead we found you." She looked at him carefully. "You're look says rebels, and since they were carting your bodies off to the Sanctium, I think it's safe to say that they don't like you."
    "The Sanctium? The Sanctium is a myth." She snorted.
    "That's what they want you to think. They don't like the public to find their dirty little secrets." He heard the resentment in her voice. That wasn't surprising when it came to BL/ind.
    "How do you know about it then?"
    "Tech." He stared at her for a moment before trying to sit up. She pushed him back down.
    "Don't move. It'll take awhile before you won't tear the scabs. You need to heal."
    "What about the others?" He motioned with his head to the other beds.
    "Same boat as you. You're the first to awaken though, which is surprising." The door to the room opened suddenly and his hand flew up to block out the onslaught of light.
    "Auntie! I--" the small high voice was cut off as the girl moved suddenly. A gun was pointed to his head and her entire posture changed. She looked over her shoulder at the small silhouette that stood in the doorway.
    "What's the first rule?"
    "Don't open a door without knocking," the voice replied. "Sorry." He recognized it now as a little girl’s voice. The door closed and the girl was gone. The woman looked down at him.
    "Who was--?" He started to ask before she cut him off.
    "Shut up." Her voice had a darker, no-nonsense tone to it. "You weren't supposed to see that," she admitted before leaning down towards him. "You now have two choices. You can forget you ever saw that, or I can shoot you now." He looked warily at the gun as it pressed against his head. "This isn't one of those lasers with the different settings, this is older than that. You're old enough, you should recognize what it can do." She pulled back the hammer and he gulped. "We may have saved you but I don't know you and I don't trust you so I have no qualms over shooting you, got it?" He nodded.
    "Consider it forgotten."
    "Good," she moved back, her stance still wary but he was relieved to see the gun back in its holster. "Now why don't you tell me what happened."

3. Dust Angel

Dust Angel Unloveable. Staff Member

Ahh, you posted it! 'Twas fast.
    I'm really liking the start of this [:

4. Ridea

Ridea New Member

Ahahaha, during our PMs I was working on it. Figured I'd go and post it now since you suggested it.
    I'm glad you like it :D thanks!

5. Dust Angel

Sure thing [:

6. DeathShineXD

DeathShineXD Member

Interesting :D More soon?

7. Chemical 30

Chemical 30 Just 'That' Girl

This sounds great!
    I think I'll keep up with it ;)

8. Ridea

Ridea New Member

I'm so glad you all like it. Thank you for the kind reviews.

Chapter Two

She shut the door behind her with a soft click and leaned against it. Her eyes closed and she took a deep breath. That had been close. She would have to keep an eye on him to make sure he kept his word. She'd also have to talk to her niece about barging into rooms. Again. She hoped she wouldn't have to kill them. There was enough blood on her hands already.
    "You okay?"
    She opened her eyes to see Ace standing in the hallway looking at her. She straightened up and stood.
    "Yeah but Short Stack came in..." she trailed off. Recognition lit Ace's eyes.
    "f**k."
    "Yeah." She ran a hand through her hair and turned to lock the door. Once the monitor was on, she moved towards Ace.
    "So who are they?" Ace asked as they walked towards the kitchen together.
    "Killjoys." She looked at Ace who stopped and stared at her in shock.
    "But they're dead. I heard it on Dr. Death Defying's show."
    "Well apparently he was wrong," Prez deadpanned. She sat down at the table while Ace hopped up onto the counter and sat there with her legs swinging. "Girls!" She yelled, her voice echoing in the small room. They waited silently for the sound of running. It didn't take long.
    Two little girls slid to a stop in front of Prez. The smallest, with dark hair and large brown eyes, was looking around the room. The taller one, with light brown hair and blue eyes, was looking at Prez guiltily. Prez sighed and leaned forward, putting her elbows on her knees. "Alright," she said softly, "what are the rules?"
    "Don't go into a room without knocking," the tallest said.
    "That's right A, what's the next one B?" The youngest looked up at Prez.
    "Don't go into a room?"
    Prez's lips quirked up. "The one after that."
    "Um...."
    'A', also known as Short Stack, leaned over to whisper to the small one. "Listen to Auntie." B looked up and smiled.
    "Listen to you?"
    Prez nodded. "That's right and those are the two most important ones aside from the one where if I tell you to hide, what do you do?"
    "Hide!" They both answered.
    "Right." Prez held out her hands for a low five and the two girls obliged her. "Now listen up. We have a new rule, okay?"
    Short Stack rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.
    "Okay..."
    B tried to copy her and Prez heard Ace laugh in the background.
    "The room you barged into at the end of the hall," she motioned and waited for their nods. "It's off limits. You can't go in there for any reason, got it?" Again they both nodded. "There are some boys in there who are hurt, so they need peace and quiet to heal, okay? So I expect you to both be good."
    "Okay Auntie." Short Stack said and B echoed. Prez held out her arms and they both stepped into the hug.
    "Good, now go play." The two girls ran off and Prez leaned back in the chair before turning to Ace.
    "Think they'll stay out?"
    "Yeah," she answered. Prez stood up and stretched. "Where's Tech?"
    "His room, where else?" Prez got up and left Ace in the kitchen. She went down the hall to the room next to the one where the Killjoys were and knocked. There was no answer and she sighed before knocking louder.
    "Go away!" A male voice yelled from the room. She kicked at the door.
    "Open the door!"
    "No!"
    She ran her tongue over her teeth before sighing. "I don't have the patience for this today Tech. Open the door or I'm breaking it down!"
    She waited for the threat to sink in and finally heard shuffling on the other side. The door opened a few inches and a face appeared in the crack. She looked up at him as brown eyes glared down at her. His hair was falling in his face and she scrunched up her nose. "You need a haircut." He ignored her.
    "What do you want Riot?"
    "I need you to do some research for me. Get me information from anywhere you can."
    "Even BL/ind?"
    "Especially them." She watched him grin.
    "Alright, what is it?"
    "You know the men you have under monitor?" She nodded towards the other door.
    "Yeah?"
    "Find me everything you can about the Killjoys."

9. Dust Angel

I really love the interaction among them all. It just seems very comfortable despite the times they're living in.

I really do have an odd fascination with Tech from what little you've given to me about him. I think he'll turn out to be my favorite in this (=

10. Chemical 30

^Basically everything she said haha

The characrers seem fantastic, I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this story

11. DeathShineXD

DeathShineXD Member

^Yeah, what those guys said
    Looking forward to more!~!

12. Ridea

Ridea New Member

Thank you all for the reviews. I'm so glad you like it and that you think it flows well. :D This chapter isn't that long but I'll make up for that on the next one. Enjoy!

Chapter Three

Staring at the ceiling was getting to him. He had no idea how much time had passed since he had woken up to the girl next to him. He had been in and out of unconsciousness since. The graffiti that he thought lines the walls were just words, phrases from old books and famous quotes with pictures of what the world used to look like. There was barely any part of the wall that wasn’t drawn on. He rather liked it.
    He was half awake when she entered the room and went to the body he recognized as his brother. He propped himself up on an elbow, ignoring how his head pounded with the movement and rubbed his eyes.
    She had pulled the sheet off and was staring at his chest covered in bandages.
    "What are you doing?" He croaked out. She jumped and whirled on him, hand going to her holster.
    "Don't do that!" She hissed before turning back to his brother. "Jesus," she muttered. "I'm just changing his bandages. He should wake up soon." He stayed propped up and watched as she quietly worked. She slowly pulled off the bandages and he could see black around the wounds.
    "Is it infected?"
    "What?" He motioned to his brother’s chest. "Oh no, it's just a burn. It'll fade into a scar." She moved to the trolley that held the lamp and pulled out fresh bandages, tape and a tube of something. "Disinfectant," she said before he could ask. Once she was done with Mikey, she moved onto the others.
    "How are they?"
    "They're..." She looked up from Frank's chest. "Do you want the truth or the Disney version?" He stared at her blankly before he got the reference.
    "Truth...please."
    She nodded. "This one has a chest and shoulder burn. He should be alright but we’re monitoring him. We're most concerned by the one by his heart.” She motioned over to Ray. “He should be okay, but I’m not sure how it’s going to affect him. They should both wake up soon." He sat up and watched as she worked on the others. There wasn't much he could do in his state if she decided to kill them all. He didn't think she would but everything changed when there was a kid involved. He knew that well. "---eeling?" He snapped back to attention to notice her standing in front of him.
    "What?" She sighed and leaned in close.
    "How are you feeling?" He watched her move slowly as she checked the back of his head.
    "Uh...fine? My head hurts."
    "Not surprising," she said as she pulled back. "You got shot in the head. It'll probably be awhile before you can really move without being sick. You'll probbaly still get headaches easily after this." She looked tired, he noticed. Bags were under her eyes and she had a constant slight frown. She would have been pretty he realised, had she not looked so severe…or if she didn't live this life.
    "How do you know all this?" He couldn't help asking. The lives of his friends and family were in her hands. "Are you a doctor?"
    "Me?" Her eyebrows raised and she shook her head while giving a small smile. "No. I took a few first aid courses back before..." She swallowed and looked away. "And personal experience." Her hand seemed to automatically reach up and touch the scar at her temple before she finally looked at him. She dropped her hand instantly and whatever emotion that had been in her eyes had vanished. She turned away. His mouth opened to ask her what happened when something caught his eye. She was at the bedside of his brother before he could alert her. He watched as she pushed back Mikey's hair and reach over to bring the trolley to her. She poured him a glass of water and went through the same motions with Mikey that she did with him. He let go of a breath he wasn't aware he was holding when he heard his brother's voice.
    "Gee?"
    "I'm here."
    She looked in between them but all he could do was focus on the fact that his brother was alive.
    "How--?" She stood up, straightened and looked at him.
    "I'll let you explain."
    “Wait!” He called after her. She looked over her shoulder at him, eyebrow raised. “You never told me your name.” There was silence for a moment.
    “You can call me Riot.” She turned and left, closing the door behind her. He waited a few moments before looking at his brother.
    “Gee, what happened?”
    He shook his head. "I have no idea."

13. Chemical 30

That was a short and sweet chapter.
    I wonder how she got that scar?
    And Mikey woke up...thats good
    Great chapter

14. Dust Angel

"Do you want the truth or the Disney version?"
    :lol: I love that.

Well Gerard's a big help :glare:
    But at least he's attentive enough to notice things about his caretaker.

15. Ridea

Ridea New Member

Thanks for the reply Chemical 30! I'm glad you like it!

Hahahaha, I love that reaction. Give him time, he's recovering...and suffering from severe headaches. Once he starts getting back to normal, he'll be arguing over her choices soon enough and she'll probably wish she shot him when she had the chance. :p

16. Dust Angel

:lol: I can only imagine.

17. Ridea

Ridea New Member

While not as long as intended, it should still be good. On that note, because of the shortness of the last chapter, I'm posting this now. Thanks again for the comments! Enjoy!

Chapter Four

She sat at the kitchen table, notes sprawled in front of her. Ace was on watch and Tech and the girls were both asleep. She wasn't sure about the men in the room, but none of the alerts were going off so she assumed they were fine.
    Tech had come through. He had every piece of information he could get on the Killjoys. She had to remind him a few times in the day, but he had done it. She just wasn't sure what she was supposed to do now.
    She had seen the surveillance tapes. She knew that they had gone in and gotten themselves killed over a child…and she really couldn’t blame them for it. That alone proved to her that they might be able to be trusted. Not for long, but enough that they wouldn’t tell anyone about her nieces. Enough that she could let them out of that room on the condition of their secrecy…and for information. She sighed and laid her head on the table. She needed the insight of the others.
    She waited until morning. It wasn’t necessary to keep watch all day because of the alarms and cameras that Tech had set up, so it was safe to call a meeting. She sent the girls to the living room to complete whatever homework Ace had given them before sitting down at the kitchen table. Ace was once again perched on the counter while Tech was leaning against the fridge.
    “We’ve all been over the info you got for us,” she said to Tech. “I want to know what you both think of them.”
    “I think they’re cool,” Ace spoke up. Her hair was blond again and tied up in a high ponytail. Aviators were balanced on her head and her black jeans were tucked into combat boots. The bright green shirt stood out a lot compared to the rest of her. “I’ve been listening to Dr. D’s show for awhile now. He’s only had good things to say about him…they’re against BL/ind as much as us. Plus,” she grinned, “they’re cute.” Prez nodded slowly and looked to Tech. He was staring out the small window above the sink, fingers moving in an unheard beat.
    “Tech?”
    “Huh?” he looked up sharply. “Oh right um…” he straightened and pulled on the edge of a fraying blue shirt. He was simply in running shoes and jeans. Tech was all about being behind the scenes, and compared to her and Ace, it showed. “They’re okay. I mean, they don’t have my skills and they play the game on BL/ind’s level. I’m pretty sure that’s why they died…that and they don’t put too much thought in it. They need more solid plans but it looks like they just…” his gaze drifted to the side as his head tilted, brow furrowing. Prez snapped her fingers and he glared at her. “They go with the flow. They’re not like us.” That, she felt, was the problem. She needed to keep control of exactly who knew about them and what they’d do about it. Her and Ace usually planned things out, that was how they worked.
    “Come on Prez, they’re not bad people. You can let them out of their prison,” Ace said lightly. “You’ll have to eventually.” She nodded and stood up.
    “Okay, on one condition.” She made sure she had both of their attention before continuing. “Watch them. If they go near the girls, I want someone there.” Ace sighed but Prez ignored her. “At least until we know for sure. Once they’re healed, they’re leaving.”
    “Why?” She looked at Ace who hopped off the counter. “I mean, come on, these are the first guys we’ve seen who aren’t working for BL/ind. Can’t we…I dunno, keep ‘em?”
    “No.” She shook her head. “It’s not…” she swallowed the immediate response. These people were all she had, and she wouldn’t have some boys come and take that from her. “It’s not my decision.” She ignored the part of her that said that if it were three years ago, she would have joked with Ace about keeping them. She would have agreed they were attractive. She ran a hand through her hair. “Kobra and Poison are awake. I’ll let them know that when they’re up to it, we’ll give them a tour.” Ace just grinned at her and Tech was already gone. She prayed she was doing the right and that this wouldn’t blow up in her face. She needed them.

She walked down the hall and opened the door. Poison was sitting up, his hair matted with grease. She’d have to get him a pail of water or something to wash up. Kobra was asleep and the others unconscious. She instantly checked the monitors and kept her back to the door. Poison was watching her. She felt herself straighten under his scrutiny and took a deep breath.
    “When you’re well enough…you can come out. I’d like to give you a tour and introduce you to the others.”
    “Really?” he looked around quickly and his eyes narrowed. “Why? I mean…you said—”
    “I know what I said,” she snapped before taking a deep breath. “I…I checked up on you.” She looked at him closely. “I am taking a great risk in exposing this house to you. As a Killjoy, I suspect you’ll respect that and take this to your grave.” He stared at her silently for a moment, frowning slightly before he looked away. He lifted his head and met her eyes.
    “You saved us. Your secrets are safe with us. I’ll make sure of it.” His face was pure honesty and determination. He said the right words to reassure her and she was certain he was aware of the threat underneath her words.
    “Okay, then…when you’re ready, I’ll take you.”
    “I’d like to go now.” He moved to get off the table and she rushed forwards, placing a hand on his chest to stop him. She looked up.
    “Hold on, I’ll need to unhook you…”she realised then that she was touching his bare chest. “And you’ll need to get dressed.” She felt her face flush and she pushed her embarrassment down. She should have sent Ace in to get him. “You’re clothes have been washed. I’ll get them now. Just…wait.” She left the room and headed outside. The desert air was dry and hot. She was used to it now, but it had taken some time. The clothes hung on a line, flapping in the wind. It had taken some effort to wash the blood off and some of it hadn’t survived, but the leather and jeans did. She tried to remind herself what he was wearing when they found him and instead grabbed all of it. Well, everything except the holsters. They wouldn’t need those when they didn’t have weapons.
    She headed back in, ignoring Ace’s look from where she sat with the girls, and stopping only to pound on Tech’s door. It opened shortly and he raised his eyebrows at the pile of clothes she held. She glared at him. “I’m bringing him out,” she said. “Get ready to get in contact with the Doctor.” Tech looked towards the door that held the men and then back at her. He nodded and shut the door. She ignored the shun and walked into the room. Poison was still just sitting there. She put the pile of clothes on end of his cot. “Here’s everything." She took off the wires strapped to his chest and pulled out the heart monitor before walking away. "I’ll be back in ten minutes.” She left him there, surrounded by the unconscious and went to warn the girls.

18. DeathShineXD

DeathShineXD Member

I missed two updates!!!! :(
    Ah well, i've read them now :D They were awesome!!! I like this group, they sound like a killjoy family :)
    More soon plz

19. Ridea

Ridea New Member

You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot for all the positive responses. I'm glad you like it.
    Writing this also makes me want to sketch/draw the characters, so I might do that soon. I'm almost finished the sketch of Prez.
    I'll be gone for the weekend and I'll try to post another chapter before I go, but if not, here's chapter five regardless. Enjoy!

Chapter Five

The first thing he notice when he exited the room was that all the walls were covered with pictures and words. Most of the pictures were below waist level and in crayon. There were a lot of stick figures and scribbles. The girl must have drawn them. He felt an arm loop around his waist and look down to see Riot next to him.
    “Come on,” she said, “we’ll take it slow. Don’t want you getting sick on me.” He nodded and instantly wished he hadn’t as his head pounded. “All the bedrooms are connected to this hallway,” she motioned with her free hand. “I’d appreciate it if you never went into this one.” He looked towards the closed door on his right and made a metal note. It wouldn’t do to piss his caretaker off. “You’ll all have to share a room since we don’t have much extra space.”
    “That’s okay,” he looked down at her and forced a smile. “Thanks.” She nodded and motioned him forwards.
    “The others are in the living room except Tech. We’ll save Tech for last.” He wasn’t sure who Tech was or why they were last but he didn’t protest. He moved down the hallway towards the kitchen he could see up ahead. The world felt like it was swaying and he grabbed the wall for balance as his stomach rolled. This was why she had said to go slow. She waited patiently, not commenting with a told you so until he was ready to move on. He put an arm around her shoulder for more balance and while she looked at him curiously, she remained silent. The reached the end of the hall and he heard voices in the living room. His attention was diverted though by her voice. “This is the kitchen.” It was small, with one main counter, an empty sink and an old fridge and stove. There was a table in the middle of it with some chairs and it looked like it was dropped out of the sixties. “We have electricity, but we don’t have any running water. Even if we did, we wouldn’t use it.” That wasn’t surprising. All the main water supply had been poisoned or drugged by BL/ind. “There’s a well out back if you need it.” She seemed to search for something to say then shook her head and stepped forwards. “Come on.” She led him to the entryway of the living room and he stopped short, breath catching in his throat.
    There were two.

It all made sense to him now as he stared down in shock at two little girls, one smaller than the other. No wonder she was so protective. He would be too if it was Mikey or his—. He stopped that thought instantly. It wouldn’t do any good thinking about what he had lost. “Poison,” her voice was soft as it brought him back to attention. “This is Hot Shot,” she motioned to a blond woman who stood up from where she had been sitting with the girls. She grinned at him. He blinked at the friendliness she seemed to show as she held out her hand to shake.
    “Hi there! Big fan, don’t mind Prez here she just gets overboard. How are you feeling?”
    “Um…” he stumbled for a response. He would have thought she would have had the same reaction as Riot…or was it Prez? “Alright, thanks.”
    “And these,” Riot interrupted before Hot Shot could say anything else. “These are my nieces. The tall one is Short Stack, the other is Tiny Chaos. Girls, come meet Poison.” The tallest of the two girls stood up and moved forward slowly, only to be quickly followed by the other one. She looked up at him and scrunched her face up in disbelief.
    “Your name’s not really Poison, is it?”
    He tried to hold back a smile and failed. Instead he motioned Riot away and kneeled down to see them. Gracie had been this age once and B…B would have. “No,” he answered. “No, but it’s one of my names. Just like Short Stack is one of your names, right?” The smaller one, with the big brown eyes opened her mouth to say something. Short Stack caught it though and turned to glare at her.
    “Girls,” Riot spoke up, “he and his friends are going to be here for awhile while they get better. You…you can talk to them, but don’t harass them okay?”
    “What’s harass mean?” Short Stack asked.
    “It means don’t bother them too much if they don’t want to be bothered,” Ace said. The little one, Tiny Chaos, crept closer to him while the others were speaking. He looked at her and she stared at him before smiling.
    “My name’s Belle.”
    “B!!!” His heart clenched at the nickname as Short Stack seemed to hear and whirled on her. “You’re not supposed to tell anyone! Auntie!” Riot sighed and muttered something while Ace laughed.
    “Hi Belle,” he choked out. “I—I’m Gerard.”
    “This is my sister,” Belle grabbed Short Stack’s sleeve. “A…Ariel.” Both of the names sounded familiar but he couldn’t place it.
    “Pleasure to meet you both,” he held out his hand and Belle slapped it for a high five while Ariel shook it.
    “Alright,” Riot spoke up. Her tone was sharper than before and he took that as a sign that they needed to move on. He stood up and the world tilted. An arm wrapped around his waist to steady him and he smiled a thanks to Riot who ignored him. “You girls have to finish your homework, then you can see if you can find a blank piece of wall.” The girls cheered and she led him back towards the hallway.

“I get it,” he said quietly. “I get it.” He felt her pause and out of the corner of his eye saw her nod. They went back to the end of the hallway and stopped just before the room he woke up in. She turned towards him, reached over and banged on the door. He turned towards it as Ace came down the hall. She stopped before them and the two girls shared a look. Riot sighed and then aimed a kick at the door.
    “Don’t mind Tech,” Ace said. “He takes some getting used too.” The door opened and a teenage boy stood there. He was around his height and they looked each other over.
    “Tech, this is Poison. Poison, meet Tech AD, our resident computer genius. He’s the reason you’re alive.” Gerard held out his hand.
    “Thanks man.” Tech looked at it and then back at the others. He dropped the hand and heard Ace whisper “told you”.
    “Did you do what I asked?” Riot looked at Tech who stared at her in confusion.
    “Wha—oh! Yeah, I got it. Come in but don’t touch anything.” He looked at Gerard and glared at Riot. “I mean it.” She rolled her eyes.
    “Yeah yeah.” Tech let them in and he was surprised to see a table lining the wall with various computers and screens. Some showed the house in various angles. Others showed empty desert and a couple were of the outside of Battery City. The room was dark and messy, typical for a teenage boy. Tech sat at the desk, moved over to a screen and typed in something on the keyboard. Codes came up on the screen in front of him and he slid to the end of the table and waved them forward. There was a microphone and speakers set up.
    “Give me a sec…” Tech typed something else in and turned a dial. “There, you should be connected.”
    “I don’t hear anything…” Ace said, looking at Tech. He rolled his eyes.
    “Yeah cause no one’s there. You gotta call out first.”
    “Oh!” Ace grinned and went forward without hesitation. She picked up the mic and spoke. “Ace to Base! Ace to Base!” She grinned at the others. “I’ve always wanted to say that.” She turned back to the mic. “Can you hear me? I got news from downside zone six and you’re gonna want to hear this. Copy?”
    There was silence and then static before a familiar voice came through the speakers. Tech, he noticed, wasn’t paying attention.
    “This is Doctor Death Defying. Don’t recognize no Ace on the airwaves. You got a code name hot shot?” Ace grinned wider.
    “That’s it in one Doc. Hot Shot here.” More silence.
    “God damn, you’re alive! Is Clumsy Riot there with you? And the little ones? And the kid?” He heard Tech snort at the name.
    “Alls well that ends well Doc. We’re fine, alive and in charge…and we got a surprise for you.”
    “Good to hear Hot Shot, after this last week we could use a surprise.” Ace turned and motioned to Riot. She stepped forward.
    “Riot here. We have someone who wants to speak to you.” Before the Doctor could reply, she handed the microphone to him. He stared at it for a second before clearing his throat and speaking.
    “Hey Doc, miss me?” More silence until the voice came back on with a harder tone.
    “That poop ain’t funny. Those were good men who died out there and—”
    “It’s me Doc. We’re all…alive thanks to these guys.”
    “…How?” the tone was incredulous. “I saw Ray get shot, we got the kid out of there but you all were dead.”
    “I have no idea but—.”
    “Oh,” Tech spoke up. “That was me.” They all turned to stare at him incredulously.
    “What do you mean it was you?” Riot demanded. He turned to look at them.
    “I sent out an electronic pulse that would reset the laser settings. Did it all across Battery City. They just happened to go storming in at the right time.” His jaw dropped and he looked around to see Riot and Hot Shot looking as amazed as he was.
    “But…how? Why?”
    Tech shrugged. “I got bored.”

20. Chemical 30

Aww the little girls are cute!
    Tech seems....nice haha ;)