Learning to play Guitar

Discussion in 'Musician's Corner' started by Ditte, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Ditte

Ditte New Member

Ok, so i've wanted to learn to play electric guitar for a while now,
    and today i was able to 'borrow' my brothers while he is on a school trip.
    So i was wondering if anybody knew a good way to learn how to play, on-line?

please and thank-you!

2. PunkAssMofo!

PunkAssMofo! Fuzake n Na!

Download Powertab.
    xD

3. Ditte

Ditte New Member

Ok..

What's Powertab?! xD

4. Don Ricalo

Don Ricalo Panda Bear.

5. Ditte

Ditte New Member

Thanks!
    It looks a lot easier than everything else i've looked at :D

6. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

I personally haven't tried this, but I know there's a lot of free video tutorials on YouTube. Actually I DID try it once, I ordered a guitar and it came with a free video. I suggest trying that. :)

7. Maddy

Maddy New Member

alright well the key is to stick with it....a lot of people think that guitar is easy and they will get good easy...uh no not the case hah...just stick with it it gets really fun once you start to get better...and the best website to get tabs and learn songs is ultimate-guitar.com

that site rules..but yeah glad your learning guitar! have fun!

8. Don Ricalo

Don Ricalo Panda Bear.

I actually learnt the theory to tapping via a free video at the bottom of a tab on ultimate-guitar.

Just need an electric guitar to practice it on, acoustics don't really tap ¬_¬

9. Ditte

Ditte New Member

Thank you all!!
    I really think that this is something that i'm going to stick with, but it's so hard!! x/
    I've only been playing for an hour or so, but my wrist is killing me!

But anyway, thank you again! xD

10. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

Just practice chords and your strumming, after that it's all good unless you want to get technical (which I personally find to be a waste of time even though I still do it). Why can't your brother teach you?

Don't give up, do it for me. I had many girl friends that tried playing guitar and they just gave up after a week. Learning how to play guitar is a life long process.

11. Ditte

Ditte New Member

Well, my brother would just laugh at me if i told him that i wanted to play, and say that it was only because i wanted to be like Frank or Ray..
    Which i do, but only because i think that they're really good xD

And now, i wont give up, so thank you xP

12. Vega

Vega Cosmonaut

Psh, everyone starts playing because they got inspired by someone. At least that's been the case with myself and all of my friends. Prove the mothaf**ka wrong! =d

13. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

14. JC_Cainstone

JC_Cainstone Active Member

Does your brother have any books you could learn from? That's how I started learning, on his acoustic :). I found it pretty easy and take lessons with my electric now, so definitely don't give up, it's really worthwhile. But yeah, if he has any books or anythng that could teach you the chords and how to read tab and stuff, that'll be massively helpful.

15. mY cHeM rOx

mY cHeM rOx Guest

I'm trying to learn.
    Only "musical" one in the family.
    Or one that's interested in learning to play the guitar.
    What are some basic cords I should learn? I know G, C, Am, Em and Cdim.

16. welcomeXtoXlife

welcomeXtoXlife New Member

there are some websites that do tab for guitar and bass

ultimate-guitar.com & 911tabs.com are quite good

and you could buy guitar tab books/download it

17. Amelia

Amelia strangeness and charm

I really wanted to try to learn guitar... but I have no idea what guitar prices are. Or how confusing the tabs are. I've seen a bunch of notes/tabs and I couldn't understand any of them.

18. xCirclesx

xCirclesx New Member

probably E, F, D, Dm, A, A7, E7, B and Bm
    and you should also play powerchords, they are really common

The best thing to do in my opinion is get someone to teach you just how to read the tabs, its pretty easy once you know what everything stands for.

19. superdawn

superdawn New Member

you posted this thread agees ago so you proberly dont need any help now but if you do or anyone else does, i learnt how to play on this online thing called Jamorama or something, theres like a free trial and you can learn the basics and then move on from there or buy the actual lesson or whatever

20. MySweetRevenge27

MySweetRevenge27 New Member

Ultimate Guitar is the thing! when i was an amateur is use to play My Chemical Romance's Cancer in chords.

when you are in a band, it's absolutely good. you can learn more by just observing the tabs//chords//powerchords they are using. while jamming in another band.

You can watchsome "guitar covers"on youtube also. it will help. :)