Kony 2012 - Make Him Famous

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MrBoggins, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MrBoggins

MrBoggins Jesus take the PRNDL!

Now's your chance to help change the world.

Kony 2012

KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice.

Watch the video, it explains everything. If you've ever wanted to make a difference, if you've ever wanted to be apart of something bigger, here's the perfect opportunity.

KONY 2012 - YouTube

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Hopeless Wanderer

I agree that Kony is an evil, vile man who needs to be stopped but before you spend all your hard earned cash donating to Invisible Children, you should read this article; We got trouble. - Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism
    It just give another side to the organisation.
    (And I'd like to point out here I don't condone what Kony is doing. Just because I don't fully agree with Invisible Children's approach to the whole thing doesn't mean I support Kony in his atrocities...)

-edit-
    Another article here highlighting the problems with Invisible Children;
    Fetch The Nets: Kony 2012 - What it's all about and why it is fatally flawed

3. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

^ Thank you. Please, be careful with your money, guys.

To highlight a quote from the article for those that didn't click, "Last year, the organisation [Invisible Children] spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services/aid"!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

People are letting the whole, "Oh but, the money isn't going directly to the cause!" take away from the whole concept. It's painful to see how everyone has to tarnish a commendable cause with negative facts. It's so typical too. The money that was donated to the organisation helped fund things such as the video, which helped set of the viral level of awareness. You have to think about it from their point of view, what would you do? Give all the money and not spread awareness or spend funds to increase it?

Regardless, I donate to several organisations working within refuge camps, working to provide medical assistance to areas all over the world, in particularly Africa, and I will donate to this one too. Just as I plan to support the cause by taking part in Melbourne's "Cover the Night". Look beyond the scandal and focus on spreading awareness, guys. That's what it's all about.