I just started learning bass.

Discussion in 'Musician's Corner' started by Christine, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Christine

Christine Guest

I started learning bass through YouTube videos a couple days ago... I love it.
    It's killing my fingers, but it's so much fun! Anyone else on here play bass?

2. JK Chaos

JK Chaos Guest

I play bass too.

With practice your fingers won't hurt you anymore .B
    but yeah, is fun.

3. Mooka

Mooka New Member

I don't play bass, but I sometimes teach people stuff sooo.
    1. Play it as often as you can, your fingers will toughen up.
    2. Try and do stuff around the first 6 frets, cause your fingers will strech out more.
    3. Don't strain your fingers. Really, don't. Take it easy.
    Hope this helped. :)

4. raychellromance

raychellromance New Member

I play Bass,
    I started learning in school at the very end of last year cause i just moved there and in my old school it was £30 a term to learn o_O
    My fingers would stretch to reach the first few frets because they were so big, so Nick, (my teacher) Told me to just stretch my fingers at home, so I'd get the frets and it worked XD

5. Ray-Is-God

Ray-Is-God New Member

i dont play bass but i play guitar
    and when i first started i did have to stretch my fingers and for the first month or so my wrist and fingers were hurting

so do keep it up and i wish you well :D

[^lessons in my school are like £80 a term T_T]

6. spikenike232

spikenike232 Guest

^How do you guys stretch your fingers, anything special, or just by playing?
    Er, learning guitar. Not bass, but still.

7. mcrmaria

mcrmaria Active Member

I don't play bass but I started learning guitar

8. Guitar.
    welcomeXtoXlife just got a bass though

9. Christine

Christine Guest

I don't really have to stretch my fingers because I can reach all of the frets (no idea why... I've never played anything with strings before). It's just that my fingers need to toughen up. I've been playing for two or three hours a day, so it's not really that bad anymore.

10. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

I don't really play bass, but Nick does and i've picked up hers to give it a go a few times. I'm honestly poop, I can only play the bass line of Dance, Dance-Fall Out Boy and On Call-Kings Of Leon.

Good luck though, it sounds terrific when you get better. But yeah, just as others have said, stick by it and practice practice practice!

11. w@ke

[email protected] New Member

welcome to the wonderful world of bass xD
    i've been not much longer than you have, since september, but i'd just repeat the same things everyone else said- the only way for your fingers to get tougher is just to keep playing. eventually, you'll grow callouses over your fingertips and it won't hurt as much to play. also, since you're self taught (i am too, haha) just keep learning from the internet when you can/ pick up tabs from other songs, practice them a lot :)
    hope that helps!

12. Mr.E

Mr.E New Member

Welcome to le bass, I've been playing bass for two years and guitar since I was 14. Its all pretty easy once you get a hang of it. Just keep stretching your fingers and practicing, once you build caluses (sp) its not all that bad. And your fingers will stop hurting. Also word to the wise, never play till your fingers bleed it may sound cool but it hurts......like all hell.

13. Christine

Christine Guest

I think I've pretty much got the hang of it now. I'm starting to get callouses on my fingers. It still hurts, but I don't care anymore.
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

14. rubidoux.

rubidoux. princess

I PLAY A BLACK & WHITE CRESTWOOD. /Justsaying.

15. savedbymcr15

savedbymcr15 New Member

I play the bass :) I taught myself when I was 12, because we couldn't afford to get me lessons. I also recommend using Guitar Pro along with Ultimate Guitar when you're learning songs. It really helps :)

16. Raquel

Raquel Guest

You guys are the biggest pansies alive :]
    Playing stringed instruments since 03.
    I'm currently learning ukulele and bass, I win.

17. Christine

Christine Guest

You always knew I was a pansy.

18. iamdead!

iamdead! New Member

:) bass is so fun, i've been playing for a while now, learning off the interwebs :) have fun playing x

19. Ain'tJustForTheFamex

Ain'tJustForTheFamex Active Member

I started playing just before Christine did - It's so funnn ^_^

20. i started playing a year ago. I suggest learning 'Unholy Confessions' by Avenged Sevenfold. and 'Dance, Dance' by Fall Out Boy. they both will make your fingers more accustomed and faster. :p