Discussion Exercise/Fitness

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Thumbelina, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Seraphim

Seraphim Active Member

I road my bike today, for the first time in about a month.
    I've done 40km (about 25mi) so far. I'm feeling great atm, but I'm going to be so sore tomorrow... -_-

2. mollyxmadness

mollyxmadness Active Member

I've gone down about ten pounds in the last couple of months. I want to start working out more, but I can't go to the gym as often as I'd like, and it's too hot to go jogging here. I sometimes run at night, but not as often as I should. However, I am eating cleaner, and if I lose 6-7 pounds per month, I will be at my goal weight of 130 by my 22nd birthday.
    Here are some progress pics. I'm so proud of myself. The first was from a week and a half ago. The last two are from yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's been a lot of hard work, but it's paid off so far. Still have a long way to go though. I find following fitness and before/after weight loss blogs on tumblr are good motivators. And posting a results picture ever week on facebook helps too, because I'd be embarrassed if I saw no results and the motivation from my friends is so uplifting.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

That's awesome, Kate. I really struggle with bikes, I just don't have the motivation for them in the gym. If I was riding an actual bike outside it might be different, but eh!

And wow Molly, you're doing so well! I know what you mean about following fitness blogs on Tumblr, I think that was the only thing that got me through a few weeks ago. The pictures and food ideas and questions and answers really helped me everytime I went on to Tumblr and felt like I couldn't be bothered going to the gym. Keep it up though, you're making fantastic progress!

4. Seraphim

Seraphim Active Member

^ I watch TV while I do it. :p
    I managed to do 50km and was so sore I only managed 10 today... Haha

5. mollyxmadness

Started running more often. I'm absolutely terrible at it. Not to mention I have exercise-induced asthma. But I just did intervals of running and then walking. About equal distances of each, and I did it for over an hour. Plus I'm eating clean. Fitness blogs on tumblr keep me really motivated to actually get to my goal weight this time and not give myself unrealistic expectations, and quit when they don't get met. I'm giving myself a lot of time to lose the weight and get fit. No more crash diets. Healthy eating and lots of exercise, which I have actually come to enjoy.

6. Lokeriel

Lokeriel Because Boomerangs Staff Member

On Tuesday, I did the Wii Fit for the first time in about 2 months, to find that I'd gained about 5 pounds. After 4 days of 25 minutes a day of Wii, 400 calories total breakfast and lunch, and normal-ish dinner (I'm still eating the same stuff I usually eat for dinner, just a little bit less,) I've lost 3 of the 5 pounds. So I'm pretty pleased with that. Now, I just need to keep on with this, so I can lose the 30ish more pounds I want.

7. mollyxmadness

^I was in the same boat. Just remember that food is not the enemy. It's fuel. I've lost about sixteen-seventeen pounds total, but I eat a lot. I just eat clean and healthy. Remember not to let yourself go hungry. Lots of fruits and veggies and at frequent intervals, and combined with exercise is the best way to lose weight.

8. Lokeriel

Oh yeah, I know that. I still eat plenty, I have yoghurt for breakfast (Which is more that I 'd usually have, which is nothing,) a grilled chicken salad for lunch, (and sometimes a bagel thin with cream cheese,) which fills me up plenty, and I snack through out the day, just on low cal things, like those little Babybel cheeses, and wheat thins and the like. And like I said, I still eat pretty normal at dinner, just smaller portions (So, probably "normal" sized portions, as I have a tendency to eat too much.)

9. mollyxmadness

Ugh. I haven't gone to the gym in a whole week because I've been sick. Plus, my diet has been terrible. Somebody come whip my butt into shape as soon as I get over this cold.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

I spoke to my Naval personal trainer the other week, and turns out I have gained 3.5kg of muscle since August. I'm really proud of myself! I have also managed to be able to run 2.4km in 11:07. I need to keep aiming to improve but right now I'm so happy with my fitness level.

11. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

I've been in a pretty bad place with food and my weight since about August. I'd reached my highest weight ever (still about 10 lbs. from overweight, but I was extremely upset) and went nuts for awhile basically starving, afraid to touch anything in the dining hall but salad with only veggies and light dressing and subsisting on just that, diet bars, fruit and nonfat yogurt. Then I started eating other food but counted every calorie and limited to usually 1,200 but always less than 1,500. In the first month I lost about 10 lbs., the second maybe only 2 and the third, the weight loss stopped. I think a few things happened: my metabolism was damaged from dieting, and my activity was cut to a minimum as some days I could barely make it walking to my classes. Exercise was out of the question with the weakness and fatigue. Also my body doesn't seem to want to go below this point, as I only ever have been before when I was suicidally depressed and lost interest in food and everything else. I was hospitalized for depression, ate (thought I couldn't gain on the diet a HOSPITAL would give me, was clearly wrong) and regained four lbs. in five days. That was two years ago, but anyway.

I feel so lost and basically worthless if I can't achieve the arbitrary goal weight I'd set for myself. It's maddening that just a month ago I was only 1.2 lbs above it, now I'm 2.8 lbs. above. This week I tried to increase my calories to maintain my weight and felt physically much better, but seeing the number on the scale this morning makes me want to white knuckle it through just a few more weeks of restriction. But what then? I know the weight I'll be at then won't be enough. I've never been truly thin and I'm tired of feeling ashamed for it. Ashamed for others to see me eat and see my body. My college is known for beautiful sorority girls and fraternity guys, and seeing those girls walking around wearing leggings in lieu of pants because they're thin enough just kills me and makes me feel I don't deserve to eat.

I know all this would basically be considered an eating disorder if I were thinner, but for reference I'm currently 5'7'' 137 lbs./170 cm. 62 kg. BMI 21.5 well within the healthy range of 18.5-24.9.

Sorry if TL;DR. You don't have to read it, just writing made me feel a little better. x

12. MarieArt

MarieArt Champion of Losers

^ I remember you mentioning it before (unless I'm thinking of someone else/or you wrote a story,etc).

I've seriously had a steady weight; staying around the same weight, etc. I lost 40lbs taking adipex (I know the spelling is probably wrong) my senior year of high school and stopped taking it because of the money. Then I believe I gained 20 or so back. I just recently realized that I've gained a little bit more back, but I know that this is the result from not being able to go back to zumba since June. It is freaking November and I don't have the time (because I have to help dad after school), my zumba instructor is off until January because she had surgery, and now I've realized I don't have the damn energy after school... When my instructor gets back on her feet, I'll start back zumba and just give my body a little break from it; I'm on my feet and constantly walking around at school (Cosmetology), so I get that much physical activity and I've started eating salads again for lunch (grilled chicken, boiled egg, of course lettuce and no dressing) sometimes I get a baked potato or bring yogurt, etc...

That's a lot to read, but like Megan said it made me feel better
    x//o

13. Lokeriel

I've been slacking really badly. I was doing the Wii Fit every day for a while, and then went to visit family in WA for a week. I haven't done the Fit since, and that was the last week of September. I haven't weighed myself since then, either, but I know I've gained weight, as my only pair of jeans are uncomfortably tight again.

So an old friend of mine is getting married in October, and she wants me to be her maid of honour. The dress that she picked out is a vintage dress, and it's a 14 (and I'm an 18ish right now.) So I'm going to get off my butt and see if I can lose 40ish pounds in the next 10 months. Which means I am going to start f**king exercising again, goddammit!

14. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

School holidays here, which means no creche at the gym. So the only exercise I'm getting is chasing kids, yelling at kids and doing housework.

15. mollyxmadness

Ugh. I am so swamped with work this semester and doing my thesis paper that I'm lucky if I can get to the gym once a week. I used to be able to go five days a week. This sucks.

16. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

Molly, that's so annoying, but CONGRATS on the thesis. What's it on?

I went to my first step class in months this morning. Thank God for a couple of first timers, because I kept losing the beat and wrong footing myself and looking like a goose.

17. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

Officially joined the gym on Thursday. Had my first go on Friday; I had booked for an induction but no one was there and I couldn't pick out any staff members from the gym members, so I just jumped in and went off by myself. I did the treadmill first because I figured that would be the easiest; then a quick go on the cross-trainer before I built up the courage to try the weights.
    I've since gone twice more -- on Saturday and then again today; I think I'm getting my routine down, but the cardio part is so hard because I've lost my mp3 player and I don't like the music they play. The rowing machine is excellent because you can play a game where you have to eat fish and how you row makes you move up or down; all machines should come with games!!

I'm hoping to go five times a week maybe? But we'll see. And I'll give some classes a go too, to switch it up a bit.

There's a machine in the changing rooms where you can measure your height, weight, BMI and body fat, which I did and a) turns out I'm actually closer to 5'9 than 5'8(!) and apparently my body fat is 16.9%, but I've since googled it and apparently those machines aren't accurate at low body fats, so I'd need to try a different method (which I can't) to actually find out.

But yeah, on my way to becoming a She-Hulk!!! :)

18. Lenore

Lenore Inked and Sexy Staff Member

Good going, Jules!
    I really need to start with some sort of excercise/sport again.

19. MarieArt

MarieArt Champion of Losers

I've lost 16lbs just watching my sodium; drinking water and tea (only brewed), etc. I never snack or salt anything so that's the only thing I can do after moderation. As of next week, i'm going to the gym with my friends-Ben and Becky-on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'll do home stuff or recover on the other days. I also do laps around the pool when it doesn't rain.

20. Angila

Angila InkGirl. Staff Member

I started Insanity last Monday, so this starts week 2 of it. It is kicking the poop out of me, literally. I do feel better already, but I'm not sure if I've lost any weight or not because I've stayed away from the scale so far. Hoping to lose some of this pudge and tone up, though. I'm pretty excited :)