Discussion Exercise/Fitness

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Thumbelina, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

I was so anxious going to my gym the first time, but they have this amazing "Ladies only" section upstairs looking out on the gym. I never go downstairs to the general area because I have everything I could need in the room upstairs. It's probably the main reason I joined the gym I did.

2. mollyxmadness

mollyxmadness Active Member

My arms and back are getting seriously toned. As are all my core muscles. It really is a fantastic workout. I bought new boxing gloves this past weekend. It's starting to become an obsession with me and my roommate.

I know how it feels. I hate going to the gym alone especially at first because half the time, I have no idea how to use the machines. If you can find someone to go with, it's the best because you can push each other and if one person doesn't feel like going to the gym on a certain day, the other can make sure they do go. I probably wouldn't be going every day if it weren't for my gym buddy. If you can't find a gym buddy though, I'd say to just force yourself to go one day, and after the first couple times, you won't be as intimidated.

3. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

Renewing my gym membership tomorrow now that Jackson's well enough to be left. I'm so nervous :scared:

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

^ Ooo get excited! I've been working three jobs a day this week, it nearly killed me, so only made it to the gym twice. Poor form but I'm determined to do better this week, and I'm going on a light detox too, my body feels terrible from bad eating!

5. mollyxmadness

I finally got up to 40 minutes on the elliptical while maintaining the rest of my gym routine. That puts me at 2-3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week! I'm really starting to see and feel results.

6. Katelyn McFly

Katelyn McFly Dr. DeathDefying

Just rode 4 miles on my bike.
    I'm by no means overweight, but damn am I out of shape.
    Winded.

7. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

Went on the wii just now and I am just under 11 stone. I know it's not about weight and blah blah blah, but I'm glad especially as it's night-time and I've eaten a lot today. Being under 11 is cool by me.

8. kadoodle

I'm sore as hell but digging being back at aerobics.

9. creeperkat

creeperkat New Member

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd browse around the website for a little and came across this thread! So for the past month I have been working out 5 times a week. One hour of cardio such as running or the elliptical and 30-45 minutes of weights mixed in with some core exercises.

My motivation for going to the gym often is because I want to feel better about myself by trying to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle; and also to alleviate some of the stress in my life. Growing up I was overweight in elementary school to the point where I got bullied because of it. As a result, I had self esteem issues in middle school and part of high school.

Now I am a college student about to start my sophmore year in the fall and I want to be able to remain active and have a positive outlet to release stress.

The only thing I wish I had was a workout buddy :( my best friend is currently in South Dakota for an internship and all my other friends are too busy partying with their naturally high metabolisms to care about working out with me haha.

Anyways, I hope all of you stay motivated and accomplish whatever you hope to achieve through fitness and exercise!

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Wow 5 times a week, that's amazing. I admire that kind of commitment!

11. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

I'm back in the gym for the first time since January as of the past two weeks. Planning on going Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the rest of the summer in addition to a 30 minute daily walk. It's great to be active again but unfortunately I'm still really struggling with my weight. :/ I'm thinking birth control pills/PMS/bloating might be playing a role but I'm still really disgusted with myself for gaining 3-4 lbs. over the past month. I'll give it a week to see if my cycle evens things out but if that doesn't work, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm completely emotionally dependent on food and especially sweets. It's really bad.

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Try swapping sweets for fruit. That's what I do when I'm craving sugar. Fruits like pineapple, grapes, mandarins all work amazingly. And drink lots of water. But really, weight gain is very common during or around your cycle. Don't stress it, love.

13. xokay_nowx

Thanks Ayesha, I'll try that. :)

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

Had my first session with my personal trainer. Oh boy, I could hardly walk out of the gym! He taught me so much about, well, everything! I didn't realize how much I was missing out on by not doing the correct exercises, using certain machines, putting on more weight then I though I could etc. He really pushed me. I managed to leg press 100kg! I am so proud!

I highly reccomend getting a personal trainer if you're seriously looking to get fit girls, even if only for one session, it's well worth the money. I'm getting into protein powder now! I didn't realize how crucial it is to rebuild those muscles after a workout. Ugh so excited!

15. mollyxmadness

^^Got any tips to share? I'd like to know how to get better results.

16. Nephilim

Nephilim Give me love.

The sheer importance of your legs. Which are so commonly neglected. Things like standing calf raises, squats! Lunges. All crucial things that need to be done with weights to achieve maximum results. Just by adding weights it can push you that extra mile. If you go to a gym, there are machines designed for some of these exercises. In a similar fashion, other leg exercises like hamstring curls are fantastic. You want to work every part of your legs to tear and rebuild those muscles to strengthen them.

I've been really making the most of free weights in my gym, toning my arms above all else. Things like overhead presses, triceps extensions, bent over rows. My arms are improving a lot from little stick arms I had three months ago, haha!

[​IMG]

I passed my fitness test too, so I'm going to the gym tomorrow to just wreck myself. I'm eating so much lean protein this week too. Lean mass gaining is my new goal.

17. xokay_nowx

Those are incredible results on your arms. ^_^ When I worked mine out consistently last summer for about three or four months I did get results, but nothing like that. Do you think it's the protein? I typically don't get enough in my diet.
    & congrats on your fitness test! :D

18. Seraphim

Seraphim Active Member

Nice guns Ayesha. ;)

I've lost 5 inches from my waist. ^__^

19. kadoodle

Has anyone tried crossfit?

20. mollyxmadness

Finally weighed myself. I've lost twelve pounds since the beginning of May.