Discussion Exercise/Fitness

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Thumbelina, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

Over in the Body Image thread, we've been talking about what exercise we do, or are starting to do, or whatever and I thought the topic needed its own thread.
    Share your exercise regimes, or your aspirations for starting one etc. etc.!

2. mollyxmadness

mollyxmadness Active Member

Right now I'm on this crazy anti-yeast diet that's supposed to get rid of my bloating.
    I can only eat certain vegetables, eggs, brown rice, and greek yogurt (plain). Basically only things without yeast and sugar. Even natural sugar. But that's only for the first week.
    Next week I can eat fruits and veggies that have natural sugar, and then the week after that, I can eat whole grains and some dairy products.

As far as exercise goes, I try to go to the gym every day that I can, and while I'm there, I do 25 minutes on the exercise bike, and then 25 minutes of power-walking on the treadmill. Then I lift small weights to tone my arms.

I'm trying to get in shape for my sister's wedding. I hate it, but it's paying off big time.

3. Thumbelina

^Why anti-yeast? Is it a dietary requirement like 'cause of allergies or something? Or just some gimmicky diet thing (don't mean to sound rude, but I kind of don't really believe in those get-thin-quick, 'detoxing', calorie-counting 'diet' things)?

4. mollyxmadness

It's not a quick diet or anything. I don't like those, either. Basically, I have an excess of yeast in my system that causes me to be bloated, and by balancing out how much yeast I intake, that could decrease bloating and bring my yeast levels down to normal. Anyone who is bloated should try it. It really sucks though, just saying.

5. PunkAssMofo!

PunkAssMofo! Fuzake n Na!

I dunno if this counts but my new year thingy was to be more flexible so I started stretching loads everyday but it got too painful and I gave up.
    I don't really get a lot of exercise, especially now that there's no school and I have nowhere to walk anyway. I think I would like to do something like running or cycling but I'm far too self concious to go out and do it, so I want a machine.

6. Thumbelina

^Same for me, basically. Although, my sister's giving me a job in her kennels over the summer and it's a super-physical job/I'll be on the move for eleven-hour days, so I hope I will get fitter (and lose weight, but that would just be an added bonus; I'm not trying to).
    At uni, I'd like to do something, but I'm like, ridiculously self-conscious when it comes to exercise, so I don't know if I will (maybe if someone else signs up with me).

7. mollyxmadness

^^I hate working out in front of people by myself. Especially if everyone else there is really fit/has been going there for a long time. It took me a long time to work up the courage to go to the gym at the uni, but once I did, I've been going about every day.

8. MarieArt

MarieArt Champion of Losers

I started going to Zumba in January as a "New Years Resolution"; it's a dance/cardio workout.

At first, I truly didn't think it would work at all because I seriously have way too much fun doing it, but I've noticed a difference in my figure and my self-esteem. Now I'm more comfortable with myself because I've made so many friends in my classes along with tightening up my 'problem areas'. I'm proud to say that I now wear shorts that are above the knee instead of nothing but capris and bermuda shorts. :) Oh, and I now can dance like a boss.

Also in the 'watching what i eat' category. I never ate sweets so it wasn't a problem to make healthier decisions (plus chocolate anything gives me heart burn). I now mostly drink black, earl gray, and white tea with the occasional soda to keep away caffeine headaches.

9. Madden

Madden Faut souffrir pour ĂȘtre

Yes, Jules, Molly and Kirst, I hate gymming it/running/cycling in front of people, too.
    Thankfully, I have a really good exercise bike which alternates the 'level' of fitness to replicate different terrains/going up hill/down hill etc. which is really useful.

I decided that I'd start off really slow (because I haven't done anything sporty in so long), but it was actually quite easy for the first two-three miles so I kept going until I felt like dying. The machine also tracks heart rate, calories burned, and distance. I found that, within ten minutes, at a medium pace, you can cycle three miles and lose 86 calories. So I started doing ten minutes in the morning, afternoon and in the evening just to get used to it.

And, then, when I got used to it, I started doing the 30 minutes in one go at a relatively slowish pace to get used to it. I'm just adding extra time when I feel like challenging myself a little bit. By no means is it a truly vigorous regime, but it's more than what I was doing before.

It's my best friend's wedding next July, so I have just over a year to lose all this weight (or as much as I can) and get fit! :)

10. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

I totally love combat and hi/lo type classes. So good for stress relief! Whenever I start a new class or go back after some time off I'm totally unco and must look stupid, but to be honest I'm kind of past caring what some random at the gym thinks of me. Or maybe by being so bad, I'm making them feel better about themselves?!

I need to be a bit more gentle with myself though, as I'm carrying so many injuries from being reckless with my body when I was younger.

11. mollyxmadness

I really want to do some kickboxing and Zumba classes, but those don't start until the fall semester at the uni begins. For now, I just push myself on the exercise bike and treadmill until I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm not trying to over-exercise or anything, I just like to push the limits. I want to be toned and fit, and I want to be ready for anything.

12. PunkAssMofo!

Zumba sounds awesome. I'd really like to try it!

13. Lenore

Lenore Inked and Sexy Staff Member

Ugh, the weather should get better. Normally I'd go for a run, or skating, but it's raining, windy and cold. :(

14. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

^ High of 99 Fahrenheit today. Outdoor exercise? LOL.

15. darkestnight

darkestnight Coffee Girl

I'm a dancer so I generally consider myself fit but this summer I've been working on getting really toned. I've biked pretty much every day but I need to lift some weights and work on my abs. Hopefully I can get my sister to do it with me so I'm more motivated.

16. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

I can't do anything without it hurting. Even yoga or swimming. Stupid pelvis, you're not supposed to start seperating just yet, bub still has to cook for another three weeks!

17. mollyxmadness

I've upped my exercise to an hour a day. 25 minutes on the exercise bike, and 35 on the tread. Not running, though. Just very brisk walking on a steep incline. The one exercise I cannot do is running, and that's because of my athsma. On average, I try to burn 500-600 cals per day with exercise. I really am trying to get fit this summer, because I'm almost 21 and that means I'm in my prime right now. No reason not to look my very best.

18. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

I play a lot of football and tennis so I have two different coaches for that, plus a trainer I use when I go to the gym. All of that's kinda lessened lately though, because my ACL injury in my right knee has played up again so i've gone straight back to the physio. Physio has me doing a hell of a lot of pilates and i'm on the exercise bike so much.
    I can't wait to get back out there and play sport again!

19. Thumbelina

I've discovered an interesting strength workout. When I'm nervous and sitting down, my bum tenses. It happens without my noticing and I can't stop it. When I finally get up, I'm like 'ow, f**k Jesus Christ, my arse!'.
    Ohhh yeeeaaahhh X)

20. PunkAssMofo!

Hahahaha, you're such a weirdo!

When I sit my exams my stomach automatically tenses. That's my workout during exams.