England Riots.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thumbelina, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

Thought I'd make a thread for it/them since there's a lot in Let it out.

Lots of comparisons to the Brixton riots; lots of articles saying that a lot has changed since then... Apparently, not enough.

2. WhySoSerious?

WhySoSerious? Active Member

What started the riots in the first place?

3. Thumbelina

^I was just off looking for articles to link to (which I'll post down there v), but basically, a man was shot and killed by the police - that was the trigger event.

BBC News - London riots: Violence erupts for third day

England's riots spread to Birmingham (video and live coverage links) | al.com
    There are links on this article to other articles about it, including: "How did the shooting of Mark Duggan spark riots?" and "Comment: What is causing the riots in London?".

World Blog - The sad truth behind London riot
    ^I think this says it best of all the ones I've read. I in absolutely no way condone violence or aggression, nor do I support it or encourage it or think it should be happening, but what the guy says in that article is absolutely true. Until we are listened to as peaceable, intelligent, articulate people of a democracy, what other way is there?
    /unpopular opinion.

4. PunkAssMofo!

PunkAssMofo! Fuzake n Na!

Birmingham is being ruined. They locked down the bullring at six but it's been broken into, there's looting left right and center and the looters are apparently very organised, communicating by radio. Primark is burning, people locked in the hippodrome and the children's hospital is on lockdown because the rioters are outside because the police station is opposite.
    I'm at my mum's atm in marston green and there's riots in chelmsley wood (tbh I expect no less from them) which is literally behind my mum's house.
    I was f**king terrified. My twin sister was in london and we couldn't get hold of her or her friends, but an hour later we finally did and we made them get the first train to warwick, as there is a lockdown at birmingham station, no transport in or out.

I can't even... This is horrible.
    Ftw.

5. WhySoSerious?

Juliet: That actually makes sense. I just wish it wasn't happening. I mean, honestly, where do they think that setting a bunch places on fire and riot outside of a f**king children's hospital (disgusting) is going to get them? I can completely understand why they would be upset if they were peacefully protesting and a cop shot and killed a man, but just why? I don't even live remotely near England and I'm so scared. I just wish that they would stop.

6. Thumbelina

^If you read the last article I posted, the guy explains that there was a peaceful protest of 2000 people at Scotland Yard that no one knows about because it got no press and achieved nothing.

The... how do I put it, 'criminal opportunism' that comes from this kind of thing is ridiculous and highlights how poop people can be, particularly the children's hospital, and it's a real shame.

7. Georgia

Georgia Guest

^the riots in London etc are now just midless criminal acts surfacing bottled tension at the world.

I don't think the riots are right at all but the policing of it is poop. They're using dogs the rioters are throwing rocks and fireworks at the police and the police are hiding behind their dogs, letting the innocent animals get harmed when they have freaking sheilds.
    No way is the violence right but the policing is making it worse, like in Tottenham on Saturday the building was on fire, people trying to get out and the firetrucks couldn't help because there was no police protection as the police were too disorganised to get there.
    I have nothing against the police force, we have a policewoman in the family, but they need to sort it out if they want to try gain some respect from the rioters who are the example of organisation which makes the police look even more silly.
    You would have thought after the student riots they would have had a strategy.
    I understand what I've said may contradict how some people view it, but it's just my view.

8. Thumbelina

I was actually saying to my mum the other day (about something unrelated, but it still applies), we - as a nation, in our government, our institutions etc - are always so unprepared for the things that happen to us. It's ridiculous how useless we are at reacting to anything other than the same-old, fair-to-middling way of the country. How the f**k we managed to amass the biggest empire in history and maintain global power for over a century is beyond me, when you look at things like this.

9. Georgia

Georgia Guest

Completly and totally +1 We can't even deal with snow.

I'm expecting any minute to see a train go past my house on fire like in war of the worlds.../offtopic

10. PlanetaryGoGo

PlanetaryGoGo Media Division

A friend of mine just showed me this...
    It reminds me of some horror movie, or...said War of the Worlds.
    [​IMG]
    I mean I get people are frustrated and upset cause of what happened.
    But burning down homes and shops of people who had nothing to do with the whole thing is insane.
    I mean there's civillians who lost everything they've owned to the fires in the riot.

11. Georgia

Georgia Guest

12. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

God, It's so scary how quickly things get out of control. So much bottled up tension and now the lid's been blown off. With the GFC, Euro PIGS situation, a conservative government cutting into social services and welfare and the Murdoch press fanning the flames, it was only a matter of time before something exploded.

I don't think anyone expected it to be this big though :(

13. Thumbelina

There is a context to London's riots that can't be ignored | Nina Power | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Also, I'm really f**king appalled, actually, at the facebook groups going around. "Just kill them", "just shoot them already!"... Yeah, because SHOOTING is clearly the answer to everything, especially if the question is "what's the best way to spark an extreme outburst of organised aggression in the country's capital, and beyond?".
    That's not the f**king answer, you pricks. Besides which, oh you liked a 'funny' group on facebook? WELL GO YOU, you're really helping resolve the situation; you're getting to the crux of the matter and really delving into the deeper issues involved; your activism and political/social awareness is inspiring.

14. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

I've given up reading the comments in some media sources. They just make me want to cry about how ignorant people can be.

15. Thumbelina

Twitter

I appreciate what he's saying but at the same time, that isn't quite the point (I know it is for some of them, but yeah, that's not the point).

16. MCRmyGirl4eva

MCRmyGirl4eva New Member

I saw those pictures, and I've got to say,... It reminds me of pictures in my US History book of the 1960's civil rights' movement. Except a lot crazier and more violent. At least in the Civil Rights' Movement, most of the protests were peaceful. Like the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and such. Yeah, peaceful protests take longer to be effective, but there's less property damage, fewer casualties, and they DO eventually work.

17. -melovesMCRXx-

-melovesMCRXx- New Member

I'm actually really scared now...
    'Cause the rioters are coming right near my house (in Birmingham)
    Seriously shitting myself =/

18. PlanetaryGoGo

PlanetaryGoGo Media Division

[​IMG]

This is something I never wanted to see again after 9/11. People jumping out of burning buildings. :(

19. WhySoSerious?

What the f**k? Why are people so just UGH!

20. TheNickiOfDoom

TheNickiOfDoom Time Lord

Holy hell! What is wrong with people?
    And I thought the Vancouver riots back in June were bed.

Im sorry for all of you who are close to this madness. Hope you can stay safe.