College/University Life

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by xokay_nowx, May 30, 2011.

1. Dumbledore

Dumbledore glass child.

I've finally decided on where I'm going to go, and put down my deposits and stuff. I've had my heart set on it since I was a sophomore, and I finally got the courage to make an important decision. Haha. I'll be going to Western Carolina University next year, and I am -so- excited. :)

2. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

I just ordered the book, i'm so excited! I love reading about colleges and then picking and choosing which one i would like to go to haha

Another question, do most universities there have accommodation for students? I know I might have to pay extra on top of the international student fees, but are there student halls?

3. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

^ Yes, definitely! Almost all schools have a fair number of students living on campus, though some students live in apartments nearby or commute from living at home with their parents, again, depending on the school. And most of the universities you'd be looking at have a good number of international students, too, usually 1-4% of the student population (out of thousands) and from 10-as many as 80 different nations.
    The on-campus student housing has definitely improved since my mom's day. For example at the University of Alabama I'll be living with other students from the Honors College, a program for honors students within the university, within apartment-style housing. A lot of schools have options to live in basically little apartments on a larger hall with four girls or guys (usually segregated by gender) sharing one common room, one kitchenette, two bathrooms, and each a separate bedroom, as opposed to the traditional dorm (dormitory) system with each person sharing a dorm room with someone else and a communal bathroom with dozens of girls or guys (separate, obviously) from the floor.

& congratulations, Vee! :)

4. XOMBIE

XOMBIE Guest

^ That accommodation sounds great, especially with just 4 other people with you. I think I would prefer that to the dorm system.

Thanks again for all the advice, i'll let you know as soon as I make up my mind for next year!

5. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

As of today, I'm officially a university drop-out. Loved the lifestyle, being there, etc.; hated my course, hated my course, hated my course.

6. xokay_nowx

What is it you were studying, Juliet?

7. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

English Lit. I'm reapplying for psychology.

8. xokay_nowx

Oh okay. Good luck!

9. Shannon

Shannon Active Member

I'm off to University in September. To be honest, it's the only thing keeping me going. I've been told that viewing Uni as an escape route is a bad idea, but it's not just that. Sure, I need to get out of this town for my own sanity, but I also think it will be the making of me.
    I'm half terrified, but also very excited. I just hope I get good enough A-levels to go, it's all up in the air at the moment.

10. xokay_nowx

Now I can't decide between University of Alabama and University of North Florida. I think UNF might be a better fit for me, but I really wanted to go to Bama to get out of Jacksonville and it's more prestigious. Idk.

11. Emmy McPanda

Emmy McPanda Active Member

Megan, Bama's awesome on all counts. It was too big for my tastes, but otherwise, it's a damn fun atmosphere with some really great professors.

For my part, I'm going to Duke next year, which was a tough choice. Had to give up my dream school, UChicago, because the financial aid office just didn't come through for me, but I'm really, really excited about next year. So close...

12. xokay_nowx

Duke, seriously?! I'm so proud! That's f**king awesome!
    My therapist's son is graduating there this spring with a degree in engineering; he seems to have liked it and has a great job lined up. :D
    What are you going to study?

& thanks, yeah I did decide on Bama. :)
    Just did dorm selection two nights ago, really exciting. Got to send some emails out and start getting to know my three suitemates! Did creep on their FBs though and they seem nice.

13. crescendo.

crescendo. il mio amore

Got all my classes chosen for the Community College I plan on going to. I am going to do the transfer program from there to another college after a year or two. It's easier on my dad and I to do that since he has to go back to school to get a job.

14. Emmy McPanda

I'm going to be a history major; humanities majors, unite! I'll probably change that a half dozen times though, haha. I'm just starting to get to know roommates, but I'm wondering if I ought to opt for a single. I feel like it might make me a bit antisocial, but I also like my space...

15. crescendo.

crescendo. il mio amore

If you like space you wouldn't be antisocial. Space is space and some people really need it

16. xokay_nowx

Yeah I'm an English major. :D
    Things do change but it's something I've been contemplating for years so it might well be my final major. I was thinking about going to law school mostly as a justification/excuse for studying humanities, but now I don't know. I'm now thinking about teaching English as a second language because I love meeting people from other cultures. And of course there's the opportunity to teach abroad which is awesome! One of my childhood friends is actually about to spend a year teaching English in Japan, which is amazing for her because she's always loved Japan.

I'm avoiding doing emails with my future roommates because I'm nervous. :/

I was afraid of not making friends if I got a single, but I need my space too so luckily it's a suite with four girls sharing four bedrooms, two bathrooms and one kitchenette/common area. Honestly I can't imagine sharing only one room with someone else 24/7. Eeek.

Btw I've actually stayed in the dorms at Duke before! I went to the summer TIP (Talent Identification Program) summer after ninth grade. It was supposed to be three weeks but I left after three/four days, haha. The dorm I was in, I don't remember what it's called but it had no air conditioning because it was from like the nineteenth century. Insane. It had these huge closets though, I think back then they put wardrobes in them or something. I went in there to get away from my roommmate who was rude and cry on the phone to my parents. Lol!

17. Emmy McPanda

MEGAN YOU WENT TO TIP?
    I WENT TO TIP! (Summer 2010, woot.)

Haha, I find that way too exciting. TIP was pretty marvelous. I, too, had no air conditioning- East Campus was totally miserable, and of course that's where they stick the freshmen... Suite style sounds so much nicer, honestly. The perfect blend of space and socialization. None of that in nineteenth century dorms, lol.

18. xokay_nowx

Yeah, mine was 2009. :)
    What did you take? Mine was "Bach to Rock."

19. Emmy McPanda

"Kings, Despots, and CEO's: The Evolution of Empire". We learned how to properly mimic a Roman legion's defensive battle formation and listened to Mongolian death metal. If college is anything like it, I'll die happy.

20. xokay_nowx

That sounds awesome, glad you liked it. :)