College/University Life

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by xokay_nowx, May 30, 2011.

1. xokay_nowx

xokay_nowx Become, become, become

Searched and couldn't find a thread like this.

So, for those of you who are/have been in college or university, what is/has your experience been like? Do you like your school? How's the workload? How's the social scene?

Sorry, I know that in the U.K. (and possibly other places?) college and university are totally different, but I guess I mean more university in that system, then, the years between ages 18 and 22, approximately.

2. Madden

Madden Faut souffrir pour être

University/Higher Education

University/Higher Education

I know a lot of the staff are currently at or starting University. I thought this thread would be a good idea for all of our members to share input about Universities, experiences, advice and criticism.

It's also a place to discuss your future plans (as we have quite a few sixteen/seventeen year olds) and other plans. Is University for you? Etc. etc. etc. :)

3. MarieArt

MarieArt Champion of Losers

I love College, but there are no psychology related jobs around here, so I'm starting Cosmetology school in August.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

Advice, try to pick a career path that you like, but make sure there are jobs around you. Here, everyone has to get their basics (english, college algebra, history, etc) before they can move on to their career based classes, so if your University/College is like that, no rush with a career path you have until those are finished to pick a career. :)

4. Madden

Could you not have moved for the profession, or?

I finished my undergrad. degree a couple of months ago. English universities are more strict on courses (we can't choose electives from loads of different areas), but, what I've learnt is, you're able to choose a few electives from inter-connecting areas e.g. art/liberal art modules, history/history of art etc. etc. :)

5. kadoodle

kadoodle crazy cat lady Staff Member

I loved Uni! I did a my BA (English and international law), then worked, then did my Post Grad dip ed, then a masters on International Human Rights (Rights of the Child) in relation to Special Needs Education (this was while I was working, so I was pretty busy!). I've just been invited to apply to turn this into a PhD, which is pretty exciting.

6. xokay_nowx

^ Wow, good luck! :)

Dude, I totally tried to start this thread but only got one response:
    http://www.theburningprocess.com/t16609/

Freshman at a Florida community college, getting an AA to transfer to a Florida state university and going for a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN)... ummm, what else to say? I've started early so I'm hoping to graduate with my bachelor's December 2014, which is a month after I turn 21.

7. Madden

Megan, I am so sorry! I didn't see that thread. I'll merge the two :)

I'm hoping to start my MA Literature and Film next October and graduate the either Winter 2013 or summer 2014 (I have to write my 20,000 word dissertation over the summer 2013 period)! It's all very exciting - my only concern is that I'll become incessantly bored from lack of essay-writing and education!

I really, really, really want to do a PhD as well. I'll start this after my MA, obviously, but not entirely sure when due to costs etc.

This is the course outline for the MA: Literature and Film MA - University of Birmingham :)

8. Dumbledore

Dumbledore glass child.

I'm about to start my final year of high school, but I've already started looking around at colleges in the past two years. Universities, really. But I've been looking at Appalachian State University, Western Carolina University, and UNC Wilmington.

I know I've got a little over a year till I actually go, but I'm incredibly excited. I wanna major in theatre with a minor in creative writing, probably. :)

9. Madden

My friend Holly did an exhange programme with App. State! She really, really enjoyed it :)

10. Stooksss

Stooksss Active Member

Like Shawna, I'm starting cosmetology school soon. I finished a year at college and was soooo happy when it was over. It was a hard decision to quit because throughout high school I was always on the honor roll and I graduated with an academic honors diploma. College life just wasn't the thing for me. I didn't like wasting my time and spending my mom's money on classes I didn't care about. I'm excited to start something and dive into the trade.

11. Dumbledore

Dumbledore glass child.

Yeah, they have a lot of opportunities to study abroad there. It's pretty amazing how many different countries are represented with just that school. But it's a beautiful campus, and every time that I've visited there, I've fallen more in love with it! :)

12. xokay_nowx

No problem! :)

It's hard. The only thing that keeps me going is the golden pot of money at the end of the rainbow, ahaha. I did seriously consider not going, but I don't really have an idea of anything I'm interested in doing career-wise that doesn't require a degree.

I've heard a lot of people say in the last few years that college isn't worth it anymore because of the large number of college graduates who have taken on debt only to end up working at Starbucks or unemployed, but I disagree because you have even fewer opportunities without a degree, generally, unless you have a trade.
    But I do think it is stupid to take out loans for $40k/year in tuition alone at a private school. The only scenario in which I think loans of that amount are justifiable is for medical school or something similar that promises an immediate return of income.

Daisy, what are you planning to do after your Literature/Film degree and/or PhD?

13. xokay_nowx

So, Fall 2011 schedules, anyone? Starting August 29:

Western Civilization from 1589 to the Present MW 9:30 A.M.
    Humanities: Foundations MW 12:30 P.M.
    Introduction to Literature TR 8:00 A.M.
    Principles of Biology (w/lab) TR 1:00 P.M.

I'm really excited! This is my first fall term and first term I'm going full-time (13 credits, need 12 to be full-time).

14. Madden

I really wish I was going back to University this September/October. Boo :(
    I'm attending a few open days, though, so that should be a blast!

My old schedule '10-11 was:
    Popular Culture: Music, Identity and Nation 12-2 (MON)
    Contemporary American Fiction (Ideology versus Identity) 10-12 (TUES)
    Early Modern Literature: Revenge Drama by Shakespeare and his Contemp. 12-3 (TUES)
    Dissertation 12-1 (WED)

...my old schedule was pretty sparse despite it being my final year xD

If I go to Birmingham, though, next October, I don't know what my exact schedule will be, but I'm taking the following modules:

Contemporary Literary Cultures: Politics
    Contemporary Literary Cultures: Performance
    Film Theory Politics
    Research Skills
    12,000 word dissertation on literature or film or a combination of the two.

And then these electives:
    Narrative in Film and Fiction
    Death and the Moving Image

:smartass:

This is subject to change of course. It all depends on the schedules as I don't want to spend extra pennies to do one particular module and possibly miss work (whenever the hell I get a job).

I've also been told to start thinking of subjects/theses for my PhD. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure if they're good enough.

15. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much shitting a brick about starting uni. asighioarhgjoisnvi Especially as I don't know where I'm living and if I go to Exeter (firm), then I could end up ~40 minute walk from campus, right next to the train station, with no en-suite, which honestly, I couldn't deal with. I'm crossing my fingers for actually getting one of my choices - they're expensive, but close and nice.
    Also terrified about the people I'm going to be living with. I'm too antisocial and possessive and irritable to live with anyone annoying, even remotely. I need control, dammit! D: D: D:

16. Madden

If you do get shared bathroom/living, can you not ask to be put on an accomm. waiting list? SO many people drop out in the first few weeks, so you may be lucky in getting an en-suite that way. Try arguing with the accomm. people?

17. Thumbelina

Oh yeah, I definitely will if it comes to it. I know I wouldn't be able to do it; last winter at college, I went to probably a tenth of my maths lessons, only 2/3 of my philosophy lessons (but most of my English lessons) just because it was a 40 minute drive, and it was cold and dark and horrible and SAD and all that, so if I had to walk 40 minutes, or get a bus to go to my lectures, and if I had to come home to a shared bathroom and potentially people I don't like and that...

I realise I sound a bit dramatic/like a princess, and maybe if I got there it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't think so. I think I'm going to find it quite hard as it is.

18. Madden

Perfectly understandable! I had to argue with our halls director to get me an en-suite room. :)

19. Thumbelina

Then, if it comes to that, I'll be calling you to ask for help!

20. Madden

Well, our halls of residence were all named after female potterers. There was Wedgewood Halls (non en-suite) and Star Wedgewood (en-suite). I was originally put in Wedgewood, but argued/lied (rather naughty of me) and said that I had been told I would be put in Star Wedgewood. They then found me a room in the adjacent en-suite halls :)!

But, let's hope for the best! Also, if your results don't immediately show that you've got into the uni and you're waiting - MAKE SURE that your school have sent your results off. Mine didn't get sent until a week later, which is why I didn't originally get first choice accomm.